fede071

Shortcut to updater only being created for 32bit

Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am trying to add a shortcut to my software's updater. I am using mixed 32/64 (package type in install parameters). The problem is that the shortcut to the installer is only working for 32 bit.

I used to build for only 32 bit, and everything was working. Back then, the shortcut appeared in "32-bit executables and libraries" in the package organization wizard (screenshot of this page included).

Thanks,
Federica
Attachments
shortcuts.PNG
Shortcuts page
shortcuts.PNG (14.49KiB)Viewed 19754 times
package_organization_wizard.PNG
Back when I built for only 32 bit, the shortcut appeared in "32-bit executables and libraries" in the package organization wizard.
package_organization_wizard.PNG (26.66KiB)Viewed 19754 times

Catalin

Re: Shortcut to updater only being created for 32bit

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:56 pm

Hello Fede,

How exactly are you creating the shortcut for your 64-bit executable?

Are you following the steps presented in the following article?

How to create a package that will be installed like a 64-bit package on 64-bit platforms and as 32-bit package on 32-bit platforms ?

(the "Creating Shortcut" steps)

If possible, please forward me a copy of your .AIP file by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can have a look over your settings, perhaps I'll be able to find the culprit. Also, please let me know which shortcut is not created so I know what to look after.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

fede071

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 am

Hello Catalin,

Thank you for your answer. I sent the file.

Kind regards
Federica

Eusebiu

Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Hello Federica,

Thank you for sending us your project file. I've looked over it and I noticed that the updater executable and its shortcut are only added in the "64-bit" feature from the "Organization" page.

For example, if you select the shortcut file in the "Files and Folders" page and press the "F8" keyboard button, you will be redirected to the related component from the "Organization" page. Since that component is only added to the "64-bit" feature, its resources will only be installed on a 64-bit machine.

To have the updater and its shortcut installed on both the 32-bit and 64-bit machines, you can drag and drop that component to the "Common" feature.

Just let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”