colin.miller

Install fails due to AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials error

Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:52 pm

Hello,

I have a client using our installer and they are receiving an error I have not seen before:
"Custom action AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials not found in Binary table stream."

I cannot find any information on this custom action. Could someone please assist me in debugging this error? I have attached the log file and .aip file
Attachments
log.txt
(526.15KiB)Downloaded 325 times
Last edited by colin.miller on Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Re: Install fails due to AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials error

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:22 am

Hi Colin,

The AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials action is added automatically in a project if we detect some scenario regarding user or group accounts localization.

As it looks like, the installation seems to fail during the upgrade phase, while the old version is uninstalled.

The previous action that was executed before the error is the RemoveExistingProducts
Action start 9:21:50: RemoveExistingProducts.
MSI (s) (7C:08) [09:21:50:555]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (s) (7C:08) [09:21:50:555]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (s) (7C:08) [09:21:50:555]: ******* RunEngine:
So, the error from the log could be related with the previous version that failed to be removed, as later in the log the custom action that failed is the RemoveExistingProducts.
CustomAction returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 9:21:52: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.
Action ended 9:21:52: INSTALL. Return value 3.
When a package is installed, Windows caches the MSI by placing it in the Windows\installer folder. During this process, all the unnecessary information is removed in order to decrease the size of the file. As it looks like, the related dll that handles the localization was also removed, thus when the custom action was scheduled for execution, it failed.

In this case, can you please advise your user to try to manually remove the previous version from the Control Panel to see if this is the case? If the previous version can be removed manually from the Control Panel, then the user can try to install the new version. If the user is unable to remove the installed version, you can advise to run the setup of the previous version and when entering the maintenance sequence, to select the Uninstall option.

If you run the same installation package for the second time then Windows Installer will run the installer in maintenance mode and the user will then be presented with choices to alter the installed product, repair it or remove it (done through the MaintenanceTypeDlg). You may need to give access to your user to the setup package they had installed, he might not have the original setup.

Let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

colin.miller

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Dan,

Thank you for your response. I had the client re-run the old installation and it did indeed bring up the maintenance dialog, indicating it was not removed properly just as you explained. The problem is no matter what selection they make (modify, repair or remove) it still brings up the same error message regarding AI_ResolveLocalizedCredentials. What do you suggest I do with this seemingly corrupted version? I've included the log for this old version as well. Thanks.

Colin
Attachments
log_old_version.txt
(232.48KiB)Downloaded 319 times

colin.miller

Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:43 am

I just wanted to update this thread and say I was able to solve this. Using Orca I removed the entire CustomActions table in the cached .msi of the broken version. This allowed the uninstall to skip this step and proceed with completing the uninstall. Thank you for your help

Liviu

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:57 am

Hello Colin,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. My colleague Dan had a few days off.

Thank you for your follow-up on this.

To remove a broken installation, you can also try to clean all the unnecessary information remained on your machine about the product that fails, by using the Microsoft CleanUp tool from the link below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-removed

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”