swferrar

Automated organization of new files into features

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 pm

Hello, I have a project where the files associated with a specific feature in the install change on a regular basis, think a web app with new pages being added all the time. When I load up advanced installer after new files have been added, they get automatically sorted into the "root" feature, which means that they are not excluded with the rest of the web app if that feature is not installed. I can go in and manually put them into the desired feature, but we are trying to automate more of our build and deployment scripts, and this is a step that would need to be done constantly.

I know there is a way to move a folder to a specific feature via the "files and folders" tab, but is there a way to make it so any new files that appear in that folder are automatically associated with that feature?

Catalin

Re: Automated organization of new files into features

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

What I would suggest here would be to have a folder specifically made for your files in the "Files and Folders" page, folder which we can synchronize with the one from the disk (where the files change).

Using the "Synchronized Folders" support, we can specify the feature where our components for the new files will reside.
Screenshot_11.png
Screenshot_11.png (154.54KiB)Viewed 5063 times

This way, anytime you change the files from the disk, when you open the project afterwards, the two folders will be synchronized and the components will be added under the right feature, as you need.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

swferrar

Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:43 pm

Thanks, I had tried that before because that seemed to be what I wanted but it did not work. However, that was because a parent folder was already synchronizing, and that seemed to override the synchronization of the child folder. After adding an exception in the parent folder to ignore the child, they both now synchronize new files properly into their respective features.

Maybe something to consider for a future feature, but everything is now working as expected!

Catalin

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 am

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

Glad to hear everything is working as expected.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”