Rod Sawers

Check for Updates: URL does not use a recognized protocol

I have been using Advanced Installer and the Auto-Updater functionality with my application successfully for some time. I am currently using version 9.8

Recently when I try to run a Check for Updates within my own application, the check fails with the message 'The URL does not use a recognized protocol'.

The relevant part of my Updater INI file looks like this:
[General]
URL=http://www.my.domain/SiteCollectionDocu ... pdates.txt

If I simply type the URL into a browser, I see the expected Advanced Installer updates configuration file, beginning with the correct signature:

;aiu;

[3.6.15]
ProductVersion=3.6.15

If I change the URL to specify a non-existent file in the same location, I get a different error message (as I would expect): Unable to find resource on server. Please check if the URL is correct.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
Daniel

Re: Check for Updates: URL does not use a recognized protoco

Hello,

I'm not sure why this happens. Can you please make sure that your updates download URL is a valid URL? You should check (in your updates configuration project) the URL set in the "Download URL" field from "Updates -> Properties" tab.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
senthilkumar

Re: Check for Updates: URL does not use a recognized protocol

I am getting the same issue. The URL that I specified is valid one. I am able to access the updates.txt file from the browser. But, updater throws error for the same error.

P.S: It's a https URL.
Daniel

Hello,

Can you please send us the AIPs (project files) of your setup project and of the updates configuration file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

If you cannot share with us your project files, then you can try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
fede071

Hi everyone,

is there any update as to the solution of this? I am encountering the same issue. The URL works when I put it in the browser but the updater does not recognize the protocol. Also, the updater only runs from its original folder but not as a shortcut in the main menu, any idea why?

Thank you in advance
Federica
Catalin

Hello Federica,

If possible, could you please provide the following resources:

- a copy of your. AIP file

- a copy of the Updates Configuration File

- a download link for v1 of your setup

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can run some tests on my end?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”