Zsolt Kollarits

Installation dialog order is incorrect - installation behaves as a minor upgrade, but it should be a major upgrade

Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 am

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

So far we if we increased the version number of our product and we clicked on "Generate New" (product code), then the new version became to a "Major" version, so that if we upgraded an "older" version (with lower version number and different product code) to the "newest" version, then we got a full installation wizard with the full-sequence of install dialogs (including the InstallationLocation dialog and the Feature Selection dialog for example).

This was working for us for year, however now, with our latest product (we are using AI 19.7 version to generate the .exe) this functionality stopped working, and even if we increase the version number and change the product code, the installation wizard behaves as a minor upgrade.

Could you please take a look at the .aip of our "older" product and the "newest" product? I will send them over via email. Please let us know if you have any ideas.

Best regards,
Zsolt

Catalin

Re: Installation dialog order is incorrect - installation behaves as a minor upgrade, but it should be a major upgrade

Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:46 pm

Hello Zsolt,

The issue might come from the fact that you have the "Install MSI as minor upgrade (if applicable)" option enabled in the "Builds" page.
Screenshot_67.png
Screenshot_67.png (268.3KiB)Viewed 22184 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Zsolt Kollarits

Re: Installation dialog order is incorrect - installation behaves as a minor upgrade, but it should be a major upgrade

Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:57 am

Dear Catalin,

I tested that checkbox and does not really work :/
I also would like to highlight that we did not touch the setting of the checkbox (so it was always ON) since we started our very first AI project. Did you change something in the recent version of AI regarding the behaviour of that checkbox?

So far if we clicked on "Generate new" when increased the product version number - so that we got a brand new product version number - then the installation of the new product was always a full-UI installation because it was handled as a MAJOR pack, so the state of that checkbox was kind of irrelevant. In the past it was like that, but not anymore, that's what we are trying to understand.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Best regards,
Zsolt

Catalin

Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:59 pm

Hello Zsolt,

For the mino upgrade issue, I would need the two setups to run some tests on my end, if possible. Also, how did you notice this behavior?

Regarding the order of the dialogs (from the email), please note that on your LicenseAgreementDlg2 dialog you have the following condition:
Screenshot_73.png
Screenshot_73.png (13.28KiB)Viewed 22142 times

Basically, you want to display that "FolderDlg" if "NOT OLDPRODUCTS". In our case, since we are talking about an upgrade, the OLDPRODUCTS property exist and therefore that whole condition is false, meaning the dialog should not be spawned.

On the other hand, in case of OLDPRODUCTS, I see you specifically want to display "VerifyReadyDlg" dialog, which is the one displayed on your exmaple.
Screenshot_74.png
Screenshot_74.png (10.6KiB)Viewed 22142 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

Zsolt Kollarits

Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:32 pm

Dear Catalin,

First of all we think that there are no 2 separate issues, because the "Minor or Major pack" issue and the "order of dialogs" issue is kind of the same.

We still think that there were a serious change in AI or else a new bug was introduced in AI, because so far the following happened:

Scenario 1:
1. We had 2 version of our product, let's say 1.0 and 2.0. The ProductCode of those products were the SAME, so we DID NOT generate a new one for version 2.0.
2. When we installed 2.0 over 1.0, then 2.0 was a MINOR upgrade pack, so that we got the the "SHORTENED" dialog order, which means that after the LICENSEAGREEMENT dialog we got the final VERIFYREADY dialog with the Install button on it. If we had this kind of dialog order (only 3-4 dialogs), then we knew that the version we are installing (2.0) is a MINOR upgrade with the same product code.

Scenario 2:
1. We had 2 version of our product, let's say 1.0 and 2.0. The ProductCode of those products were the DIFFERENT, so we DID generate a new one for version 2.0.
2. When we installed 2.0 over 1.0, then 2.0 was a MAJOR upgrade pack, so that we got the the "FULL, COMPLETE" dialog order, which means that after the LICENSEAGREEMENT dialog we got the final INSTALLATIONLOCATION dialog. If we had this kind of dialog order (only 7-8 dialogs), then we knew that the version we are installing (2.0) is a MAJOR upgrade with the same product code.

Things that we DID NOT CHANGE in the last few years at all:
1. We did not touch the OLDPRODUCTS property, and none of the occurrences. Regarding this property it seems it was false so far, if the product version was different between the 2 versions which are installed on each other.
2. Which means we did not touch the dialogs, so the conditions in LicenseAgreement dialog stayed the same
3. We did not touch the "Install MSI as minor upgrade" checkbox at all, it was always enabled since the beginning

Things we CHANGED recently:
We upgraded AI to version 19.7 in the last versions of our product. (The older version of our product (2022 version) is using AI 19.3)

So we really think something was changed on your side. We need to understand that change/bug, because this is a critical issue on our side in this moment. We are about to release our latest MAJOR version (the 2023 version of our product), but the installation behaves as a MINOR upgrade if we install it over our previous year's 2022 version of our product, and this is a big problem for our customers.

So do you need 2 setups, which means should I send 2 .exe files for you?

Best regards,
Zsolt

Catalin

Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm

Hello Zsolt,

This is indeed strange.

Yes, if possible please provide the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file you used to build the 2022 version (the one you used with AI 19.3)

- the setup EXE that was build with that AIP file

- a copy of the AIP file you used to build the 2023 version (the one you used with AI 19.7)

- the setup EXE that was build with that AIP file

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this.

Best regards,
Catalin

Zsolt Kollarits

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:08 pm

Dear Catalin,

I've already sent you the .aip file in the opening letter of this thread.

Regarding the .exe file I just sent them over to your mailbox.

Best regards,
Zsolt

Catalin

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:23 pm

Hello Zsolt,

Thank you very much for the provided files.

This is currently under our investigation and as soon as I will have more details, I will followup here.

Best regards,
Catalin

Zsolt Kollarits

Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:55 pm

Dear Catalin,

Thank you very much, we are really waiting for some information from you, as the more we are testing this issue the more we think there was a change in one of the latest versions of Advanced Installer.

Until this is not investigated/fixed, we are not able to release our 2023 version of our product, and the deadline is here already.

Please also let us know if you think downgrading Advanced Installer from 19.7 to a lower version would help, then we will do it as a workaround.

Thanks,
Zsolt

Catalin

Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:51 pm

Hello Zsolt,

So, as promised, here is my followup on this.

First of all, sorry for the quite delayed reply, but this issue you got here really got me thinking. :)

Now, are you saying that this has never happened when you previously upgraded? For instance, if you upgrade version "X" (where X < 27.2.0) to 27.2.0, this does not happen?

I am asking this because I strongly believe the behavior we encounter here is the expected one.

On the "Next" button from the "LicenseAgreementDlg2", we have the following events:
Screenshot_21.png
Screenshot_21.png (10.2KiB)Viewed 20701 times

We basically have 4 "Display a specific dialog" events. If I am not mistaken, these events are executed top to bottom, meaning the first one is evaluated and if true, then it is executed.

In our case, we have the first event that displays the "VerifyReadyDlg" dialog. It's condition is:

Code: Select all

OLDPRODUCTS OR <SOME_OTHER_CONDITION>
Since this is an upgrade, the OLDPRODUCTS property exists which makes the above statement true from the start (since OR is used).

Since this is true, the event is simply executed and we get to the "VerifyReadyDlg".

Best regards,
Catalin

Zsolt Kollarits

Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Dear Catalin,

Thank your for your research and for the comprehensive answer. We were testing it more - upgraded older versions for our product to version 27.2.0 for example - and it seems there was a confusion with our customer and you are right, the installation procedure were happening always in the same way. Also the order and number of dialogs are fine, FeatureSelection dialog appears only if it's a first-time-install, in case of upgrading an older version that dialog should not be there.

We will still perform some more tests internally and will change our setup if the customer is really not accepting the current solution.

Thank you very much once more. We will come back to you in case of further questions.

Best regards,
Zsolt

Zsolt Kollarits

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:18 pm

Dear Catalin,

I've just found another interesting thing, which is off-topic, so does not belong to the MAJOR-MINOR upgrade problem at all, however since I've sent our latest .aip and .exe file for this thread, maybe it'd be easier for you to take a look.

So the thing that I noticed is that the Maintenance dialog looks different in our .aip and during the installation in the wizard. Could you please take a look at the 2 pictures that I attached? Thank you. In the past we have never ever seen such "new-style" icons. We would accept them, but their size is way too big, so they look ugly in this moment.

Feel free to open another ticket for this problem if you wish. Also please let me know if you need some more information.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Attachments
how_the_installer_looks.png
how_the_installer_looks.png (21.54KiB)Viewed 20302 times
how_the_dialog_looks_in_the_aip.png
how_the_dialog_looks_in_the_aip.png (42.6KiB)Viewed 20302 times

Catalin

Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:35 am

Hello Zsolt,

First of all, I'm glad to hear everything was a "false" alarm. :)

Regarding your last question, it is indeed true that we have changed those icons, the reason being some scaling issues on the older ones.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”