waliul_hasan_rony

How can I reduce the installation time of an executable package?

Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:30 am

I have an executable package that I need to install on windows machines, but the installation process is taking an excessive amount of time. I build that using advanced installer. I would like to find a way to reduce the installation time.

I found a clue where it's taking the time. But don't know what do in this regard. Can anyone help?

I have attached that portion of log where it's taking most of the time. Invoking a remote custom action is taking 16 minutes.

MSI (s) (74:18) [13:09:00:203]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIA7CE.tmp, Entrypoint: OnXmlConfig
MSI (s) (74:CC) [13:25:06:439]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=SelfRegModules,Description=Module werden registriert,Template=Datei: [1], Ordner: [2]) **

Catalin

Re: How can I reduce the installation time of an executable package?

Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:20 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This might happen if you have added a large XML file in the Windows Installer format.

If you do so, then all the entries from your XML will be imported into the MSI database and thus resulting in larger installation times.

If you do not need to edit that XML file, I would suggest adding it as a regular file instead.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

waliul_hasan_rony

Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Thanks Catalin. It helped me a lot. The installation time has reduced drastically :D

Catalin

Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 am

You are always welcome!

Glad I could help. :)

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”