xzhodiac

Cannot install prerequisite in silent mode in app, and uninstall app with prerequisites

Hello,

PROBLEM ONE:
I have been trying to install my few prerequisites based on checkbox conditions in my app, however everytime, I give them "/qn or /qb" in "Install Command Lines" to install in silent mode, they gave me a "Warning 4154".
When I remove that(/qn or /qb ), they can be installed normally, but You need to click those unnecessary dialogs to install them. What should I do?

PROBLEM TWO:
Also there is another problem which is connected to this. If I'm trying to uninstall whole app, with prerequisites. Prerequisites stay and I need to uninstall them separately. I have tried https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... l-msi.html, but it does not helped.

I'm getting this message, if I'm trying to uninstall it.
Which means - This action is valid only at products, which are installed at the moment.
ActionIsNotValid.png
ActionIsNotValid.png (4 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
This is what was said in instructions and I followed it.
uninstall another MSI package.png
uninstall another MSI package.png (41.46 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
I will be grateful for every help, that I can get.

Thanks a lot for resposes.
Catalin

Re: Cannot install prerequisite in silent mode in app, and uninstall app with prerequisites

Hello Daniel and welcome to our forums,
PROBLEM ONE:
I have been trying to install my few prerequisites based on checkbox conditions in my app, however everytime, I give them "/qn or /qb" in "Install Command Lines" to install in silent mode, they gave me a "Warning 4154".
When I remove that(/qn or /qb ), they can be installed normally, but You need to click those unnecessary dialogs to install them. What should I do?
This is quite strange, as I have never heard of such case that the prerequisite would "fail" if you run it silently.

If possible, could you please let me know which prerequisite you are trying to install so I can run some tests on my end? It would really help if you could also give me the entire command line used for it and its version so I can download the correct one.

Usually the error 4154 is a warning that is related to your install conditions. These conditions are evaluated as it follows:

- before the installation -> here, the conditions must be false, meaning that the prerequisite is not installed, resulting in the prerequisite being installed

- after the installation -> here, the conditions must be true, meaning that the prerequisite was correctly installed

Warning 4154 is displayed in case the condition is false after the installation.

We can avoid this by checking the "Continue with main installation even if the prerequisite is not installed" option from the prerequisite's "Properties" tab.
PROBLEM TWO:
Also there is another problem which is connected to this. If I'm trying to uninstall whole app, with prerequisites. Prerequisites stay and I need to uninstall them separately. I have tried https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... l-msi.html, but it does not helped.

I'm getting this message, if I'm trying to uninstall it.
Which means - This action is valid only at products, which are installed at the moment.
If after the installation of your main product, you go to "Control Panel", are the prerequisites still there?

The message you are encountering would indicate that the prerequisites are not installed on the machine when you try to execute the custom action.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
xzhodiac

Re: Cannot install prerequisite in silent mode in app, and uninstall app with prerequisites

PROBLEM ONE:
This is my setup with every single prerequisite
properties.png
properties.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
setup files.png
setup files.png (43 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
Here is "Install Command Lines" where my input in form of "/qn or /qb" didn't work at all and notify me with "Warning 4154".
install condition.png
install condition.png (47.98 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
PROBLEM TWO:
After installation of installer/driver my prerequisities are still in "apps & features" and I need to manually remove them by myself.

Another Question:
Is there any way to reduce a size of installer/driver? Because I think that driver should be small if I'm installing prerequisities which have their own size to be installed.
My example - I have prerequisite(Number One) which has 450 MB and other prerequisities(Number Two-Five) are 5 - 35 MB, so I don't understand, why installer/driver should be another 300 MB of data.

Thanks for Your help!
Daniel
Catalin

Hello Daniel,

Regarding the first issue, in order for me to have a better view about this and test this properly, please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of your main AIP file (the one that contains the prerequisites)

- a download link for the prerequisites (upload the packages that you add as prerequisites and send the download link to me)

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Regarding the second problem, I will investigate that as well when I will have the packages so I can run some tests on my end.

Regarding your third question, please note that the size of a prerequisite is not something we can control from Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
xzhodiac

Hello,

We have solved this problem with different aproach.

Instead of give MSI packages "/qn or /qb" in final project, we set them to limit UI in their own .aip.

The uninstalling problem we solved by checking "Uninstall using this command line".
Catalin

Hello,

Thank you very much for your followup on this and for sharing your solution with us!

I am sure this will be of help for further users facing a similar scenario.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”