texjc

How to set a shortcut's 'start in' location = current user

This seems like a very fundamental issue, and I apologize if the solution is obvious. I've tried searching, but most keywords I'm using are rejected because they're too common :(

I want the 'Start in' directory for an application shortcut to be based on the current user (not whomever did the installation). I've attempted to do so in Advanced Installer by setting the shortcut's Working Directory to PersonalFolder. Thus, when a user launches the application via their desktop (or start menu, etc.), the 'Start in' directory should be:
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\"
However, instead of <username>, these shortcuts are being created with the username of whomever installed the application. That isn't what I want.

I have tried the per-user installation method, but that doesn't have the desired effect (simply doesn't create the shortcuts for anyone but the installer). I suppose this is a workaround - meaning each user would have to install the software, but that seems unnecessary.

Can anyone point me to guidance on making the 'start in' property for these shortcuts relative to the user's (not the installer's) PersonalFolder?
Bogdan

Re: How to set a shortcut's 'start in' location = current user

Hi,

I'm afraid this is not possible. To only option you have for a shortcut is to change its working directory. But as you said this didn't worked as you expected.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
texjc

I do want to change the working directory. That's what I mean by 'start in' directory. The question is, can the working directory for the shortcut be made relative to the user's (not the installer's) home directory?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that this cannot be done. The shortcut is created using the information available during installation, there is no way of knowing how the shortcut will be used after the install is finished. A solution would be to create a per-user installation. This way the install is performed for a single user. Another solution is to use a per-machine working directory (a folder which can be accessed by all users).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
texjc

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid of that. Those are the workarounds we're considering.

Return to “Common Problems”