ChrisGue

starting exe after reparing product

HI,

When my product detects a problem during startup, it calls the installation with the options /fpecms e.g.
msiexec /fpecms mypackage.msi
to repair the installation.
I want to start the main exe after that repair has finished automatically. Is that possible with a command line option?

I have defined an action and a checkbox where the user can select to start the main exe in the exit dialog. Can that be triggered by a command line option?

I use AI corporate 7.1.3 to create a exe with bootstrapper.

Thank you,
Chris
GabrielBarbu

Re: starting exe after reparing product

Hi Chris,

You can set properties for the installer through the command line:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i mypackage.msi MYPROPERTY="myValue"
Create a custom action that launches your main executable. Condition this custom action using the property that was set through the command line.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
ChrisGue

Thanks for the answer,
That's exactly what I tried to do:
msiexec /fecms {myproductcode} MMREPAIR="1"
I tried MMREPAIR=1 as well

I tried conditions like:
MMREPAIR=1
MMREPAIR="1"
%MMREPAIR=1""
&MMREPAIR="1"

but neither of them did work.
Without condition my custom action is executed always. I scheduled it in the section InstallFinialize

Does passing the parametert not work when using then params /fecms or when usinig the product code?
I gather the string from the registry anf that always contains the product code.

Chris,
GabrielBarbu

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately my suggestion only works when calling msiexec with the /i parameter. It appears it does not work with the parameters you are using.

An alternative would be to condition the custom action only to run during a repair. However it will always execute during a repair, you will have no way of suppressing this.
Just click on the "..." button near the custom action's condition field and select "Test if feature will be reinstalled".

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”