Stevo3000

Custom Launch Condition

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

Hi,

When should the custom launch conditions be evaluated? Does this depend on the 'Check predefined launch conditions before searching for prerequisites' option?

We have an installer that applies WI 4.5 and .NET 2.0 as prerequisites (WI 4.5 requires a re-start); has custom launch conditions of XP SP2; and launch conditions of .NET 2.0. When run on an XP SP1 machine WI 4.5 installs first and then the install misses out the .NET 2.0 prerequisite but continues through to install our software.

Regards,
Steve Hipwell

GabrielBarbu

Re: Custom Launch Condition

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Custom launch conditions are evaluated regardless of whether the "Check predefined launch conditions before searching for prerequisites" is enabled or not.
The "Check predefined..." option only controls whether the launch conditions are evaluated before or after the prerequisites are installed.

Could you describe your issue in more detail and explain what you are trying to achieve?

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Stevo3000

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi,

I realise that they are always executed but the 'Check predefined launch conditions before searching for prerequisites' option is not worded very well; as it is refering to predefined and custom condition (that was what I was asking). It would be very usefult to chose per condition when it should be checked (before or after prerequisites).

Our custom launch conditions were not being evaluated correctly when the conditions were set to evaluate after the prerequisites and we were installing WI 4.5 and allowing the WI installer to re-start the system. After setting the WI installer to /norestart and checking the AI restart required option the launch conditions appear to be being checked correctly.

There is however a remaining issue. On an XP system after the user chooses to re-start an error message is thrown; the message is shown on the screen briefly and then the system re-starts. I've attached a photo of the message on the screen (there is not time for a screen shot). This message is not thrown if we install WI 4.5 manually (GUI or command line) and only occurs when using AI.
SNC00016.jpg
Error message
SNC00016.jpg (309.08KiB)Viewed 3946 times
Regards,
Steve Hipwell

GabrielBarbu

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi,

I am not sure why you are encountering this issue. I have tested this on my machine and could not reproduce this behavior.
Do you still encounter this issue when installing on another machine? (preferably a clean one)

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team

Stevo3000

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi,

I can't replicate it on our test machine (a clean virtual install of XP); but every other XP machine that has had the installer run on it and that has required WI 4.5 has seen the error. Obviously it is not acceptable to show our customers an exception message while installing our software.

Regards,
Steve Hipwell

GabrielBarbu

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

Hello,

Is it possible for you to create a sample installer that replicates this behavior and send it to support at advancedinstaller dot com. We will need it to further study this issue.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”