aamirgm

Error in x64 bit setup.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:48 pm

I have a 32bit package which runs fine on 32 bit machines.
Now I have changed the Installation type to x64bit package for Intel64 processor. After doing that the new setup doesn't work and I got the following error.

[Window Title]
Windows Installer

[Main Instruction]
This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.

[OK]

PS: my .Net project is build using Target Platform as "Any Cpu".

Regards,

Bogdan

Re: Error in x64 bit setup.

Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi,

This is the normal behavior, changing the installation type to the x64bit package for Intel64 processor will make Windows Installer
automatically check the machine and stop the package if an Intel64 processor is not found.

It doesn't matter with what settings was your application build, as the installer will not even get there.

If you want your package to install on all machines you should make it a 32 bit one, as 64 bit packages will install only on machines that use 64 bit processors.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

RambosRide

Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:55 pm

I am getting this error on a 64bit machine. Change to 32bit package..same error??
AIBug1.jpg
AIBug1.jpg (108.52KiB)Viewed 6612 times
Dan

Liviu

Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:49 am

RambosRide wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:55 pm
I am getting this error on a 64bit machine. Change to 32bit package..same error??

AIBug1.jpg

Dan
Hello Dan and welcome to our forums,

You should select the "64-bit package for x64 processors ( AMD64, EM64T )" if you want to build a setup package that will be installed only on 64-bit operating systems.

Please note that the "64-bit package for Intel64 (Itanium) processor" option is for the Intel Itanium processors. You can read more about our packages type here: Advanced Installer Package Types

Itanium was a processor architecture intended for use in servers and high-performance computing. It aimed to deliver high performance and high efficiency by implementing a special type of very long instruction word (VLIW) architecture called Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing (EPIC).

For more information, please refer to the below links:

Intel Itanium

and this:

Where are Intel Itanium chips used?

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

RambosRide

Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:36 pm

Hello Liviu - thanks for the response.

If I am to understand - even if I'm on a machine running an intel i7 - I need to choose 64 bit AMD to not get the error?
That's a bit confusing...

Dan

Liviu

Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:30 am

Hello Dan,

Yes, that is correct.

I believe that is not confusing at all. As you can see, our option includes also EM64T. Intel has released their “64-bit technology” in order to compete with AMD’s 64-bit technology. This technology, is officially called EM64T (Extended Memory 64 Technology).

EM64T (Extended Memory 64 Technology), now known more commonly as Intel 64 or the x64, is a 64 bit superset/extensions that central processing units (CPUs) process. It is widely used in Intel’s processors.

For more details, please refer to the below links:

1. Information about Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology

2. Intel EM64T Technology Explained

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

HaoW

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:54 am

I have a similar problem. I tried both 32-bit package and Mixed 32/64 bits package for Intel Core i3-2100 but I kept getting the same error.
Attachments
Error.PNG
Error.PNG (7.42KiB)Viewed 5403 times
Prop.PNG
Prop.PNG (11.09KiB)Viewed 5403 times

Catalin

Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

We have run some tests on our end (Windows 7 32-bit SP1) and everything worked as expected here.

I see in the error message that it complains about the processor type, but I really can not tell why is that (what would be wrong with your processor).

What version of Advanced Installer are you using to build your setup? Also, do you have customers still using Windows 7 (and on top of that, 32-bit also)?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”