Carsten Schmidt

Cannot add dll to project

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am

Hi

I am having a serious problem with an Advanced Installer 7.7 Professional project. I need to add a dll to the project, but when I do so the resulting msi fails on install. If I add another type a file, e.g., a .txt file the msi works fine.

There seems to be a problem with the CAB archive. The installer fails when unpacking a totally unrelated file. If I choose to place files unpacked next to the MSI database (option on the Media tab) it also works fine.

Here is a log extract of the failure:

MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:00:967]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=SitaWa~1.bmp|SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp,SourceCabKey=SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp,DestName=SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp,Attributes=1,FileSize=455432,PerTick=32768,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,,,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:00:967]: File: C:\Program Files\Systematic\SitaWare\SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:00:967]: Source for file 'SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp' is compressed
InstallFiles: File: SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp, Directory: C:\Program Files\Systematic\SitaWare\, Size: 455432
MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:00:967]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\Program Files\Systematic\SitaWare\SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp
MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:00:967]: Note: 1: 1334 2: SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp 3: disk1.cab
Error 1334. The file 'SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'disk1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.
MSI (s) (24:C0) [10:41:08:014]: Product: SitaWare -- Error 1334. The file 'SitaWareInstallSplash.bmp' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'disk1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

GabrielBarbu

Re: Cannot add dll to project

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Carsten,

This is odd. Would it be possible for you to create a sample project and send it to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate?

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

GabrielBarbu

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Hello,

Your .aip project file contains a duplicate file sequence:
» Microsoft.mshtml.dll
» XInclude.dll
Both have the same file sequence.
Remove Microsoft.mshtml.dll from the project and readd it. That should solve the issue. The file is found in your project's Application Folder.
The duplicate sequences usually happen when the file is put under version control. When merging the .aip, exercise care so that file sequences are not duplicated.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team

sbaebler

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi,

I have the same error and was looking for duplicate sequence entries in the aip file (I did this by comparing all the Sequence attributes of the <ROW File=...> xml elements).
This revealed that there are not two files that have the same Sequence number.
Is there another definition of 'duplicate file sequence' that I missed?

Thank you

Sacha

[I'm using Advanced Installer 7.2.1]

GabrielBarbu

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Hello Sacha,

Indeed that was what I referred to when I said "file sequence". Since you did not find any duplicate sequences in the aip, best thing to do is send us the .aip project file along with a detailed description of the steps to reproduce your issue to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so we can further analyze the issue.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team

sbaebler

Wed May 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Ok, thank you. I will send our file soon.

Here is another observation. We include a file with - in the name (avcodec-52.dll). This results in the lines:
<ROW File="avcodec_52.dll" Component_="avcodec_52.dll" FileName="avcode~1.dll|avcodec-52.dll" Attributes="0" SourcePath="folder\avcodec-52.dll" SelfReg="false" Sequence="12"/>
<ROW Component="avcodec_52.dll" ComponentId="{9C27BAFA-D637-448C-B3B2-C69E22FEF658}" Directory_="APPDIR" Attributes="256" KeyPath="avcodec_52.dll"/>
<ROW Feature="MainFeature" Title="SomeTitle" Description="Installs SomeTitle." Display="3" Level="1" Attributes="0" Components=" ... avcodec_52.dll ..."/> (omitted many files).

The disk1.cab file then contains the file avcodec_52.dll (apparently all files are translated to underscore versions)
The installer then tells me that avcodec_52.dll can not be found in the cab file, but if I manually examine the disk1.cab file, I see it is there (not the file avcodec-52.dll).

alco

Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm having a similar problem, I think. My previous installer has newer avcodec-53.dll (and other related dlls). New installer has old avcodec-52.dll (and other related dlls). The newer installer is supposed to downgrade the installation. However, upon completion of install, at which point the defer/commit custom actions run, it can no longer find the some files. Somehow these files got lost during install. Even other unrelated files have this "To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file" in the log.

What could be the problem? How do we resolve this?

Cosmin

Fri May 06, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi,

Try setting the Ensure that this file overwrites any installed target file option in Version tab of "Edit File" dialog. Most likely the new package doesn't install the older files because they have a lower version (it's a known Windows Installer bug).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

alco

Mon May 09, 2011 12:55 pm

I have applied to the entire program folder instead, to ensure that all files get written upon install.

Seems to work after initial tests.

Thanks!

sbaebler

Wed May 18, 2011 3:42 pm

The problem I have reported did not occur any more after we updated to Advanced Installer 8.1.3.

Thank you for your help

blak3r

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm

I also had this issue when I built using 7.7 pro.
Interestingly it only occurred when I built it on windows 7. When I went back to my old machine which was windows 2003 it built without an error.

I then upgraded my Advanced Installer to version 8.9 and the problem went away. So, it appears to have been fixed in new versions.

Return to “Common Problems”