ChrisGue

msi file (or data1.cab) not found during upgrade

Hello,

I use AI 7.1.3 enterprise to create a exe with msi inside

The extract location has always been:
[AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install

But as this is the users folder I thought this does not make sense.
So I changed it to
[CommonFilesFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install

But when I now upgrade an old installation (with extract location [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install) with a new installation (extract location [CommonFilesFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install) the installation fails with:
Erorr while reading from the location C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Jumping Bytes\PureSync\install\PureSyncInst.msi
(or Data1.cab)
Sure, the files are no longer there as uninstallation did remove them. But why does new installation look at the old location?

How to solve that?

After that error, when I run teh new installation again, it does work. However it uses the old location for the extracted file(s). Why?
Seems the extract location is keep even when uninstalling and specifying a new location in the new installation.

[Update]:
When I specify
[AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install
as extract location the installation won't run at all when the user has no admin privileges (no write access to that folder):
"An error occured while reading the file"
The error description is really wrong! the user would assume the installation file is corrupt. Can this be changed, or is this a wron error box of the msi that cannot be changed.

However, so I learned using the [AppDataFolder] is not a good idea.
But when using [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install this only works for the current user.
In case another user tries to update, it won't see this folder.

thank you,
Christoph

tested onm Windows 7.
Bogdan

Re: msi file (or data1.cab) not found during upgrade

Hi Christoph,
Sure, the files are no longer there as uninstallation did remove them. But why does new installation look at the old location?
How to solve that?
After that error, when I run teh new installation again, it does work. However it uses the old location for the extracted file(s). Why?
I tried reproducing this on my test machines but failed to do so. Can you please send us the aip files of the two versions of your application so we can analyze them to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Also can you please test the upgrade of the new package on several machines, maybe there were some problems with the current one.
The error description is really wrong! the user would assume the installation file is corrupt. Can this be changed, or is this a wron error box of the msi that cannot be changed.
This error message is given if the file is not available or corrupt (what usually happens).

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ChrisGue

Re: msi file (or data1.cab) not found during upgrade

Bogdan wrote:
This error message is given if the file is not available or corrupt (what usually happens).
But that error is displayed when the extraction fails, e.g. due to insufficient user privileges, as this is the case onVista and Win7 when the extract location is in the common program files folder and UCA is not turnn off. In that case the eror message is not correct.

And as this error occurs on many machines, I have set back the extraction again to [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install, (although this is then only available to the user which installed the software, but I can live with that.)
With this every thing is fine now.

Thanks,
Christoph

Return to “Common Problems”