willp

Multiple builds of one app with different configurations

Hi,

I've had a search and a quick look around and couldn't seen an answer to this question so I hope it hasn't been asked before.

I am currently evaluating Advanced Installer Professional.

I want to build multiple MSIs for a single application each with a different version of the configuration file. I was hoping to add each version of the configuration file as a feature and then create a build for each feature. My issue with this is that the configuration file must have the same name and be in the same directory as the exe at runtime. Ideally I would be able to update the application files and press build to produce multiple MSIs without having to manage any of the configuration files.

I am interested to know whether this is possible or not.

I'm fairly new to deployment with MSIs so hope this is all the required information to answer the question.

Cheers,

Will
GabrielBarbu

Re: Multiple builds of one app with different configurations

Hi Will and welcome to Advanced Installer Forums,

Having two versions of a config file with the same name and inside the same folder can be achieved having a structure like this

Code: Select all

+ Your folder
     |
     +-- Subfolder1
     |      |
     |      +--- config.xml
     |
     +-- Subfolder2
            |
            +--- config.xml
Now, both Subfolder1 and Subfolder2 have the "Install folder content into parent folder" option set. Each subfolder lies in its own component or feature. You can then separate them each in its own build.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
willp

Hi Gabriel,

This is excellent - just what I was looking for. Thank you for the fast response!

I have one further question, if I want to then be able to deploy more than one "version" of my application on one computer I would need an enterprise license as I understand? I would like the user to be able to select which versions they are installing. Each version would have to be a full copy of the application with its own configuration file (due to the constraints on the configuration file name). Would this be possible?

Thanks for all your help,

Will
GabrielBarbu

Hello Will,

The behavior you are looking for is called side-by-side installation. It can be achieved the following way:
- on the Upgrades page, enable "Allow side by side installs of different product versions"
- on the Dialogs page add the UpgradeDlg dialog

A Professional license is required for this.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
willp

Thanks for the reply. Although this looks like a possible solution can you confirm I have to change the "Product Version" field for each "version" of my configuration file? - Is there any other way to do this so that I can build all of the configurations in one go?

Once again thanks for all your help,

Will
GabrielBarbu

Hello again Will,

Yes, the product version needs to change if your application versions are different.
If you want multiple versions of your application on the same system, then using side-by-side installs is the way to go.
If you want the same version of your application installed multiple times on the same system then using Multiple Instances is the solution. Please check our user guide for using this feature.
Is there any other way to do this so that I can build all of the configurations in one go?
It depends on which behavior you seek from the two I mentioned above. Multiple Instances require only one project file. The first behavior requires a project file per version.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
Justin

Hi Gabriel,
I want to build release and debug versions at one time. So I set two subfolders one for release and the other for debug folder in Files and Folders page and the settings as your mention(...both Subfolder1 and Subfolder2 have the "Install folder content into parent folder" option set. Each subfolder lies in its own component or feature.)
I can success build release/debug both version for x64 msi at one time. But these install to different folder, the release is right in c:\Program Files but debug is in c:\Program Files (x86) it is not right. I have check the debug version installation log, the "ProgramFiles64Folder" was changed to c:\Program Files (x86)

Code: Select all

PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding TARGETDIR property. Its value is 'C:\'.
MSI (c) (F4:D4) [17:20:11:833]: WIN64DUALFOLDERS: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\' will substitute 17 characters in 'C:\Program Files\' folder path. (mask argument = 0, the folder pair's iSwapAttrib member = 0).
MSI (c) (F4:D4) [17:20:11:833]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProgramFiles64Folder property. Its current value is 'C:\Program Files\'. Its new value: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\'.
Could you help me to solve this? Thanks!!

Best Regards,
Justin
Justin

I have put project files as below, please have a kindly check. Thanks!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rzg2FL ... sp=sharing

Best Regards,
Justin
Catalin

Hello Justin,

This is happening because your "Debug" build has a "Package type" of "32-bit".
Debug.png
Debug.png (140.34 KiB) Viewed 4743 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Justin

hi, Catalin
Got it, thanks for your detail information.

Best Regards,
Justin
Catalin

You are always welcome, Justin!

I am glad I was able to help.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”