SetupGuy

Administrative Setup - "Another installation in progress"

Hello,

I have a problem trying to use administrative setup. My msi file is contained in an exe, and the regular setup runs just fine. But if I try to run administrative setup (via cmd using "c:\setup.exe -a //", as documented), I get the progress bar indicating that setup is extracting files, but when it finishes and the installation should start, I get a message claiming that another installation is already in progress and the setup closes. I do not, however, have any other installation running, no windows updates or anything (this is a virtual machine explicitely for testing the setup, so I pay attention to not having anything else running that could have influence in any way). Restarting the machine does not help, either.

After googling a bit, the common cause seems to be that the user is not an administrator, but this is not true in my case. The user has admin rights, and I tried explicitely running cmd.exe as administrator (right click menu on vista, "run as administrator") as well as creating a shortcut, appending "-a //" to the target and running this shortcut as administrator. No difference here.

This happens with Advanced Installer 8.1 and the recent 8.1.1 update. If I remember correctly, the 6.8 version that we used before created an exe that could be run as administrative setup the same way that I'm trying above.

Does anyone have an idea or a solution to this problem? Am I doing something wrong and just don't see it? If you need further details on anything, just ask here, because I'm not sure which information would be relevant.

Regards,
Chris
mihai.petcu

Re: Administrative Setup - "Another installation in progress"

Hi Chris,

This is happening because currently Enahnced UI does not support the administrative command line. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have discussed the issue with the development team and we included an improvement which will be available in a future version.

Until then you can extract the .MSI from the .EXE using the following command line:

Code: Select all

/extract <path>
and use the administrative mode command line on the extracted .MSI.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
SetupGuy

First of all thank you for the answer, I'll try that solution. Is there any estimate on when this future version will arrive?

Regards,
Chris
mihai.petcu

Hi Chris,

You are welcome, glad to assist. Unfortunately, we cannot provide exact dates for releases, but the issue is on the development low priority TODO list and will be available as soon as they get a chance to work on it.

If this is an urgent matter, we can increase the priority.

All the best,
Mihai
SetupGuy

Hello Mihai,

we are planning to release in the first week of May, so it is kind of urgent. But if this cannot be resolved in this short timespan, we can use the workaround you suggested earlier.

Regards,
Chris
mihai.petcu

Hi Chris,

I have discussed the issue with the development team and as we can't provide an exact release date, we recommend to use the workaround just to make sure this won't turn into a show stopper.

All the best,
Mihai
jes

mihai.petcu wrote:Hi Chris,

This is happening because currently Enahnced UI does not support the administrative command line. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have discussed the issue with the development team and we included an improvement which will be available in a future version.

Until then you can extract the .MSI from the .EXE using the following command line:

/extract <path>
and use the administrative mode command line on the extracted .MSI.

All the best,
Mihai
Hi,

I am new to advanced installer. I am having issues on installing my application in Windows server 2012 citrix virtual machine.
Could you please explain what the work around is ?

Thanks !!
Daniel

Hello,

When you have an EXE setup package (with the MSI embedded) and you want to perform an admin install you could proceed like this:
1. extract the MSI from the EXE using the "/extract" command

setup.exe /extract
2. launch an admin install command for the extracted MSI:

msiexec /a setup.msi
All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”