Killian

Installing to the %userprofile%

We'd like to have our ap install to the %userprofile%/[ProgramName] directory, but I can't seem to figure out how to make this happen. (IE, C:\user\Killian\<apname> or c:\documents and settings\Killian\<apname>)

Anyone have any experience/tips on how to use a system variable like %userprofile% to make this work?

Thanks in advance!
GabrielBarbu

Re: Installing to the %userprofile%

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer Forums,

It appears you are trying to achieve a per-user install. The advantage of this is that no administrator privileges are required.
In order to make a per-user installer, simply do the following:
- use the "Files and Folders"->"Application Folder" folder to store your application files
- on the "Install Parameters" page, set the "Installation Type" combo to "Per user only". This has the effect of changing the "Application Folder" path from the Program Files folder to something like:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\<your company folder>\<your product folder>\
which is the standard installation directory for per-user installed applications.

Please let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Killian

That's right in spirit, but not quite what we'd like to do.

If we put it in the roaming data, users that don't have that ability to view hidden folders won't be able to find the appication and it's files if we ask for something during a tech support call.

That's why I've been avoiding the appdata folders and just sticking with installing in the %userprofile% directory.
Killian

Still looking for some help here.

I created a custom property with the value %userprofile% but the installer doesn't seem to interpret this, and just tried to install to a directory by that name.
mihai.petcu

Hello,

Here is our user guide article that can help you achieve this.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”