redseujac

Modify,Repair,Remove Maintenance dialog problem in AI 8.1.3

This problem is with Advanced Installer 8.1.3 enterprise.

I created a multi-language package (English US - French France - Dutch Netherlands). No seperate packages, only a multilingual with "Display language selection dialog". EXE setup file with Bootstrapper.

Automatically upgrade older product versions (original installation path). Uninstall old version first and then install new version.

Normally when starting a MSI with an installed Package Code will show the "Modify, Repair, Remove" Maintenance dialog. This happens indeed with my projects made with AI version 8.0.2 enterprise.

However the following strange thing happens with projects made with version 8.1.3.

I run a program setup file, selecting French or Dutch language. After installation of my program, I run the same setup file again and what happens? Not the "Modify, Repair, Remove" Maintenance dialog is shown with the message starting with "The Setup Wizard will alow you to change the way MyProg features are installed on your computer or even to remove MyProg from you computer...", but the normal English "Welcome" dialog for a new installation, giving me the opportunity to install the same program in English!

I think that's maybe a bug in version 8.1.3.

Notice that this problem doesn't happen when I ran the program setup selecting the English language and thus installed the program with the English setup and afterwards run the same setup in English again. Then the "Modify, Repair, Remove" Maintenance dialog is shown as it should.

Any help much appreciated.

Edit:

I've installed version 8.0.2 again and compiled my project(s) again. No problem: when trying to run successively the same setup file the "Modify, Repair, Remove" Maintenance dialog is shown correctly. After installing AI 8.1.3 again and compiling the project(s) again the same problem with that Maintenance dialog appeared again. So definitely it's an issue with version 8.1.3.
Last edited by redseujac on Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mihai.petcu

Re: Modify, Repair, Remove Maintenance dialog not showing

Hello,

In this case the normal behavior would be that the installer enters maintenance mode in the initial install language.

If you continue the installation does the application get installed again side by side?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
redseujac

mihai.petcu wrote:Hello,

In this case the normal behavior would be that the installer enters maintenance mode in the initial install language.
That's right. Because I installed initially in Dutch or French, the maintenance mode should be shown in Dutch or French. It's wrong a new "Welcome" dialog in English for a new installation is shown.
mihai.petcu wrote:If you continue the installation does the application get installed again side by side?
I will test that and come back here. When I saw the wrong dialog, I aborted the new installation.
redseujac

mihai.petcu wrote:If you continue the installation does the application get installed again side by side?
No, no side by side installation.
Installation in the original directory with same files as original installation, i.e. Dutch or French readme-file, eula-file, ...I think the original files are overwritten with the installation files from the same language, though the whole new installation procedure is executed in English (dialogs) :?
I can't follow anymore ...
mihai.petcu

Re: Modify,Repair,Remove Maintenance dialog problem in AI 8.1.3

Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this behavior on our test machines.

Can you please isolate the settings manifesting the behavior on a clean project and send us the .AIP and verbose logs( first install and second install ) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Mihai
redseujac

Creating a whole new project will take (much) time :(

How and where do I find those "verbose logs" after each install?
mihai.petcu

Hello,

You don't need to completely reproduce your original project, just the settings that lead to the unwanted behavior. This shouldn't take too long.

Here is an article that can help you generate a verbose log.

All the best,
Mihai
redseujac

I created a new multilanguage project (English, French, Dutch) with basic settings and I can't reproduce the described problem at this time.

So, I will step by step, add additional features and see what happens.

I don't know, but maybe the problem has arisen because my project has originally been created with version 8.0.2 and has not been created from scratch with the new version 8.1.3?
mihai.petcu

Hello,
I don't know, but maybe the problem has arisen because my project has originally been created with version 8.0.2 and has not been created from scratch with the new version 8.1.3?
We performed this test case when we initially tested your scenario and could not reproduce the behavior.

You could do the same before you step by step begin to narrow the problem down.

All the best,
Mihai
redseujac

I think I have found the cause of my problem.

I did the following.

1) In my original project made with version 8.0.2

I opened this project in version 8.1.3 and changed the following setting:

Themes > Classic Theme > Settings > User Interface > Use Enhanced User Interface
Selected "Never" instead of "Only on install" (this option was selected previously)

I saved the changed project and built.

Result: problem solved

After I changed this setting back to "Only on install" or "Always" the problem appeared again.

2) In my new basic project made with version 8.1.3

I changed the following setting:
Themes > Classic Theme > Settings > User Interface > Use Enhanced User Interface
Selected "Only on install" or "Always", instead of "Never" (this option was selected originally)

Saved the project and built.

Result: problem appeared.

After I changed this setting back to "Never", the problem was solved.

Notice: I never had this problem in version 8.0.2 no matter which option was selected in "Use Enhanced User Interface".

Conclusion: IMO there is a BUG in version 8.1.3. If "Use Enhanced User Interface" > "Always" or "Only on install" is selected the Maintenance dialog doesn't work (properly) when the user runs successively the same setup file.

Hope you can solve this problem, because I want to use the Enhanced User Interface for my project. Besides there was NO problem with version 8.0.2.
Last edited by redseujac on Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redseujac

I will send the log-files now to support at advancedinstaller dot com.
redseujac

redseujac wrote:I will send the log-files now to support at advancedinstaller dot com.
I've sent the requested files (aip file and log files) yesterday.

So far no answer. Hope support will find a solution.
andreasb

I know this is a pretty old post, but I also encountered exactly the same problem today. So I thought I'd post my solution here for other users coming here with the same problem.

The problem seems to be that in a multilingual setup every language has its own Product Code by default. I solved the issue by assigning exactly the same Product Code to all languages. After that, the issue did not reoccur.

This help page seems to suggest exactly this: https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... s-tab.html
Catalin

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for contributing to our forums!

I am sure your solution will help other users in the future.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”