Phobos

Bug with "Temporary" folder?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Hi,

There seems to be a bug with the "Temporary" folder in the Files and Folders section. Here is an example of what I do. I have 2 files, file1 and file2. First I add file1 to the "Temporary" folder as temporary file. Then I add file2 into the "Temporary" folder, but as a regular file.
Now I build the .msi file and run it locally on my server. Once I start the .msi file1 gets put into the TEMP folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

Thats fine, exactly what I expect to happen. Now I continue the installation, and file2 gets installed into the same location.

I uninstall the package, empty the TEMP folder, and connect to my server using remote desktop. As soon as I am connected a subfolder "1" gets created in the TEMP directory, so this subfolder is now the TEMP folder for this remote session.

Again I run the .msi, this time file1 gets put into the new subfolder, which is fine:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1

But now I continue the installation, and file2 does _not_ get installed into the subfolder, but into

which is not the correct temp folder for the current session. So what I can see is that temporary files that get added to the "Temporary" folder are extracted into the correct folder, while regular files put into the same folder do not use the correct temp variable.

I can easily reproduce this, so please let me know if you can confirm this behaviour.

Thank you for your assistance.

Phobos

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:20 pm

As an addition, the TempFolder variable is also using the wrong path. So if I execute a VB script MsgBox Session.Property("TempFolder") while connected via remote desktop I only get

and not

Thanks.

gigi

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi,

The TempFolder is a windows installer property and it's not controlled by Advanced Installer. Windows installer translate this property depending on the OS.

However I cannot reproduce what you say. On my computer or on remote connection the TempFolder is always translated to:
C:\Documents and Settings\curentuser\Local Settings\Temp

Best Regards,
Gigi

Phobos

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:21 am

Hi Gigi,

Thanks for your reply, but I am a bit surprised that you couldn't reproduce this issue. As I mentioned in my previous post, I can easily reproduce this on various servers.
Could you please let me know how you checked what the TempFolder gets translated to?

The path you provided only shows the temp folder for the logged on user, but during a remote session a subfolder is used. I found following on a microsoft site regarding this:

"The default method for creating temporary folders for multiple users (usually pointed to by the TEMP and TMP environment variables) is to create subfolders in the \Temp folder, using the logonID as the subfolder name."

And thats exactly what I am experiencing. When I connect to my server using remote desktop and go to "start -> run -> cmd" and execute the "set" command I can clearly see that a subfolder is used for this remote session.

Please let me know if there is anything you need in order to investigate this issue.

gigi

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi,

Please send the log file while running the msi so we can take a look. You can create the log by running the msi with this command line:
msiexec.exe /i package.msi /l*v package.log

Send the log to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best Regards,
Gigi

jes

Re: Bug with "Temporary" folder?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 am

Phobos wrote:Hi,

There seems to be a bug with the "Temporary" folder in the Files and Folders section. Here is an example of what I do. I have 2 files, file1 and file2. First I add file1 to the "Temporary" folder as temporary file. Then I add file2 into the "Temporary" folder, but as a regular file.

Now I build the .msi file and run it locally on my server. Once I start the .msi file1 gets put into the TEMP folder:

Thats fine, exactly what I expect to happen. Now I continue the installation, and file2 gets installed into the same location.

I uninstall the package, empty the TEMP folder, and connect to my server using remote desktop. As soon as I am connected a subfolder "1" gets created in the TEMP directory, so this subfolder is now the TEMP folder for this remote session.

Again I run the .msi, this time file1 gets put into the new subfolder, which is fine:

But now I continue the installation, and file2 does _not_ get installed into the subfolder, but into

which is not the correct temp folder for the current session. So what I can see is that temporary files that get added to the "Temporary" folder are extracted into the correct folder, while regular files put into the same folder do not use the correct temp variable.

I can easily reproduce this, so please let me know if you can confirm this behaviour.

Hi,

I am facing the same issue with my Remote Desktop session. Please tell me if you got any solution for the issue.

Thanks !!

Dan

Re: Bug with "Temporary" folder?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello,

Please take a look on the Build failing due to Temporary folder in Remote Desktop forum thread that debates this subject.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”