EddieT

VDProj Import possible?

Hello,
I am using Advanceed Installer Pro for the first time and thought I would start with an import of an existing Visual Studio 2010 deployment project.

However the AI importer does not display vdproj as a supported import type. If I type *.* into the file dialog, the .vdproj files will appear but if I try to load it i get a syntax error on Line 1,1.

Am I missing something, or is this not the right way to go about importing a VS2010 deployment project ?

Thanks for any help you can give
EddieT

Re: VDProj Import possible?

Thanks! I have solved my own problem.

vdproj can only be converted from within AI by creating a new Import/VS setup project....

All the best
Bogdan

This is correct, the "Visual Studio application" template for creating new project is used when you have your application developed in VS, not for importing an existing setup package created with VS.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
EddieT

Thanks Bogdan,
The import went well, I really wasn't looking forward to entering it all again. It's great!

Thanks
lacoste111

# Eddie T am new with using Advanced installer and visual studio. have a project in vdproj. can you take me through the steps of how I get to open it in visual studio 2017.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

A .vdproj file is a Software development project created by Visual Studio, an application that allows developers to create Windows programs; it stores project build settings and file references; it is often used for building and packaging Windows programs. Setup and deployment projects are commonly built into .MSI or .EXE files, which can are used for software installation in Windows. VDPROJ files are saved in a text format and can be viewed with a text editor if needed.

This feature was removed in Visual Studio 2012, but fortunately, it is still available as an add-in. In order to download this add-in, you can have a look on the "Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects" article. As you can see under the "NOTE" section, this extension is designed to work with Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio 2019.

Also, for more information about the .vdproj removal, you can have a look on the "Project migration and upgrade reference for Visual Studio 2017" article -> see "InstallShield MSI setup" section.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”