Chocolade

Error:there is a problem with this windows installer package

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi,

I have the advanced installer 8.7 trial.
I searched the internet with google for hours now and couldnt find any good answer.

The problem is i used the program to make installation for .net project program i did.
It was working great untill i added an uninstall shortcut in the advanced installer in files and folders tab.

Since then when i tried to uninstall the program from the control panel>programs and featuers im getting the error:

" There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support or package vendor. "

And i cant install a new package since its saying that another version is already installed.
I searched so much over google i dont know what to do else.

I have windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you for the help.

mihai.petcu

Re: Error:there is a problem with this windows installer pac

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:21 am

Hello,
" There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support or package vendor. "
You can get this error if you have a custom action that fails to execute on uninstall. If a custom action needs to run only when the package is installed you can use (NOT Installed) in its "Execution Condition" field.

Since the installation got broken here's an user guide FAQ to help you remove it from the target machine.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

the gridlock

Re: Error:there is a problem with this windows installer package

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:52 am

hello i am having this error.
I created a vbs and used it only when install, however I did not uncheck the uninstall and it is possible that it fails until now.
Is there a way to fix this? I think I can delete some registry?

Catalin

Re: Error:there is a problem with this windows installer package

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello,

If you are getting the same error, then it might indeed be a custom action that is failing.

If you do not have many custom actions in your project, then it might indeed be the VBS custom action failing.
however I did not uncheck the uninstall and it is possible that it fails until now.
Is there a way to fix this?
What we can do here is recache the MSI file. To do so, please proceed as it follows:

- open your Advanced Installer project

- fix your issue (in this case, uncheck the "Uninstall" option for your VBS custom action)

- open an administrator command prompt and run the following command:

Code: Select all

msiexec /fv <path_to_new_msi>
- try to uninstall the product now

For more information about this, please have a look over our "How do I remove a broken installation" FAQ.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”