Zsolt Kollarits

Re: Failed to marshal script action.

Hi Eusebiu,

As far as I remember, it happens in both cases. I´m 100% sure it happens when installing our product for the first time, but I think it was the same when upgrading from an older version too.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Eusebiu

Hi Zsolt,

After more investigations I found that this problem can also be caused by some Windows Updates, just as I have feared. Can you try the following solutions and see if any of them work?
1. On machines that have the KB3139923 update installed, make sure that update KB3072630 is also installed.
2. If update KB3072630 is not installed, then uninstall the KB3139923 update.

Also, can you try to use an "Execute inline script" custom action to execute your the VBScript code instead of a "Launch attached file" custom action and see if this makes any difference?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Rizi

Hi all,

from our side we can confirm that the issue happens in both cases, upgrade and new installation.

Now we have another customer who is not able to install our latest software because of this issue ("Failed to marshal script action")! Therefore we still need help
on this! Are there any news from your side?

Best regards,

Rico
Eusebiu

Hi Rico,

Did you try the solutions I described in my last post? If not, can you try them and let me know if any of them works?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
areimchen

Hi,

we have the same problems on some customer machines. So far none of the presented solutions has worked.

Best regards,
Alex
Rizi

Hi All,

also from our side i can confirm that the provided solutions didn´t help!

Are you able to reproduce that issue? And as described this issue do not occur if an installer is used that was created with an older version of Advanced Installer! So
there should be any change that is responsible for this issue (i assume) .

Best regards,

Rico
Eusebiu

Hi,

Unfortunately we could not find the problem because we were not able to reproduce it on our side. Can you share with us a Virtual Machine where we can reproduce and investigate this problem?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu

Hi,

After more investigations and feedback from some customers over the mail, we found that this problem can also appear when the "Enhanced User Interface" option is enabled in the "Themes" page, "Settings" tab. Can you try to set this feature to "Never" and see if the problem persists?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
mpembroke300

Hi,

I have been using Advanced Installer for around 5 years now and when we started we created custom actions using a VB Script. We updated from version 12.8 to 14.1.1 and now we are getting "Failed to marshal script action." on some computers. We have done the:

regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe -i shell32.dll

We have done the looking for the Windows Updates suggest and nothing seems to work. Is there something new that I can try to get this working?

Best Regards,
Mike
Daniel

Hello Mike and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately we never found a foolproof solution until now other than rewriting the custom action into another language (e.g. C++, C#, PowerShell, etc.).

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
mpembroke300

Daniel,

Thanks for your reply and we are going to fix those scripts. What would be the best file type to change the script into? Executable, Java Script, or is there another type we can use? Thanks for your help!!!
Daniel

Hello,

You're always welcome.

I would recommend you using an executable (e.g. DLL) or even a PowerShell script.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”