RDC2

A1 8.8 Signing Files

Upon upgrade to 8.8 digital signing is now failing for me with the error;

[ DefaultBuild ]
Building package (en): C:\foo\bah.exe
Preparing files... The digital signing of the APPDIR\x86\bluurgh.exe file failed. Error Message:digisign.exe error. The certificate is missing or it cannot be used for signing.

Build finished because an error was encountered.

I have 'use file from disk' selected, the password is correct and the (.pfx) file is present. AI 8.7 and earlier work correctly.

Suggestions?
Bogdan

Re: A1 8.8 Signing Files

Hi ,

With version 8.8 we introduced in Advanced Installer a new digital signing tool, developed by us, so the user's will not need to install Microsoft's SDK in order to use their SignTool.

You don't need to uninstall the update, you can simply switch Advanced Installer to use the SignTool.exe from Microsoft SDK, from "Options -> External Tools", by default found under this path:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\signtool.exe"

Also, could you please give us a screen-shot with the certificate store from your machine by following the next steps, at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

-- run "certmgr" from command prompt
-- expand the tree element "Personal"
-- and send us a screen-shot with the certificates found there.

This is just for debug purposes, so my colleagues from development to understand why our sign tool failed with a certificate that should work.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
RDC2

Reverting back to use signtool.exe fixes the problem. I hadn't spotted that I could do that. Thanks.
vpodans

I can confirm this issue. I'm storing my signing certificate on Smart Card. However certificate selection UI displays it as active (smart card CSP copies certificate public part to the personal store).
®
Bogdan

Can you please send us a screen-shot too? You can obtain as I explained in my first reply.

Regards,
Bogdan
vpodans

It seems that AI fails if a certificate contains Key Usage extension (regardless of the extension value or extension criticality status). As far as I understand, the problem is in certificate filtering process. When you select a certificate from the store — it displays all certificates from the Personal store. During signing process, an additional certificate filtering process occurs where certificates with Key Usage extension are filtered at all.
®
Bogdan

Hi,

We have just released version 8.8.1 which switches the default sign tool to the one from Microsoft's SDK, if available on the machine, or if the user manually selected it.

Advanced Installer will only use our own sign tool if the user hasn't specified other settings and the one from Microsoft is not available. We are working hard on fixing the problems mentioned above so you can use our tool in the next version without the need to install Microsoft's SDK every time you need move Advanced Installer on another machine.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan

Hi,

We've implemented some improvements and fixes to our new digital signing tool. Of course it passes all the in-house tests we have but as it seems, you have different usage scenarios. Would you please try the new version to see if it works as expected with your certificates and post your feedback in this thread?

Download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5392761/our%20s ... gisign.exe

Best regards,
Bogdan
RDC2

The updated digisign.exe fixes the problem I was seeing.
dms

Hi Bogdan

Sorry to but in on this thread but as it's related to this it seemed like a good place to ask.

I have just got a new digital certificate for a specific product I'm about to launch. A! 8.8.1 is installed. If I have read this post correctly would I be right in thinking that If i were to download the patch refered to above there should be no problems with using your own signing tool?

Dom
Bogdan

Hi Dom,

Yes, the tool should work correctly. However, if any problems should appear I recommend to fall back and use the tool from Microsoft's SDK, mentioned by me in this thread also.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan

Hi,

Starting with Advanced Installer 8.8.2 our digital signing tool should not encounter the problems mentioned above.

Regards,
Bogdan
findjammer

I just hit this exact error with the built-in tool.
findjammer

I didn't include all the info for my issue.

I'm trialing AI at the moment.

I have my cert installed properly. Open AI editor. Pick the cert in the drop down -> build. All works.

Check in to Git ... goes through the runner and fails saying it can't find the cert.

The machine I dev on and where I ran the build is the same machine running my GitLab runner.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,
I have my cert installed properly. Open AI editor. Pick the cert in the drop down -> build. All works.

Check in to Git ... goes through the runner and fails saying it can't find the cert.
To be fully honest with you, this does not look to be an issue regarding Advanced Installer, since it detects the certificate and correctly signs your files.

Regarding the reason why GitLab runner can not find the certificate, unfortunately, since my experience with it is not so wide, I can not really say why this is happening.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”