kissack

Change installation path when no features are selected

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello,

I have a setup project that has some components(featured) installed by default and do not appear in feature tree. The rest of them are not installed by default.

Now I start the installer and select customize and only want to change installation directory. It is not possible because the browse button is disabled. If I select a feature to be installed then yes I can change the installation directory.

Can something be done so I can change the directory without selecting additional components to be installed ?

Thank you.

Kissack

Daniel

Re: Change installation path when no features are selected

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Kissack,
I have a setup project that has some components(featured) installed by default and do not appear in feature tree.
Can you give us more details about your product's organization tree? Maybe you can attach a sample project (AIP file).

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

kissack

Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am

Hello,

sorry for the delay, we got pretty busy down here :).

Cannot attach AIP, suppose could create a sample one, but try to discuss this theoretically one more time...

I will repeat what is important: I have a setup project that has some components(features) installed by default and do not appear in feature tree.They don't appear in the tree, because I chose so, but of course, features are being installed(files stored to disk, IIS VD created etc) even if I don't select any other optional features. But if I don't select any optional features to be installed, the button browse stays disabled. Makes sense if you live only inside the customize dialog, but taking a look at the whole picture , I think the button's state should be derived from whether files(features) will be installed or not.

Another questions I have, how can we remove the Feature will be installed when required option from the type of installation behaviour.

Let's see what you say. Thank you.

Kissack

Daniel

Mon May 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi,

Please keep in mind that the "Browse..." button will be enabled only if a feature item from selection tree is selected. This button is associated only with the visible feature items from the selection tree. If you have a feature installed by default that do not appear in selection tree then it means that you do not want its installation options to be changed by the users. So, the installation folder path of this feature will be set at build time.
However, if you want to have a feature installed by default and you want to set his installation folder path at runtime then display this feature in the selection tree and check "Always install the feature. The "Entire feature will be unavailable" option will be missing from it's context menu in CustomizeDlg." option from "Installation Settings" group.
Another questions I have, how can we remove the Feature will be installed when required option from the type of installation behaviour.

You can't remove only this option from the drop-down menu. However, as an alternative for your purpose, this is what you should do:
- Enable the "Enhanced User Interface" from "Themes" -> "Settings" tab.
- In the "Dialogs" page expand "SetupTypeDlg" dialog and select the "CustomizeDlg" dialog. From the "CustomizeDlg" delete the "Selection Tree" control and add a "Quick Selection Tree" control instead. The "Quick Selection Tree" control replaces the drop-down menu with checkboxes. Now you will be able only to select to install or not a feature item from the selection tree.

If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”