den

Minor localization issues

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello,

I've recently began to create multilanguage builds of our headliner product with enterprise Advanced Installer 9.4.
I've encounter some minor localization issues:
1. Russian language in selector starts with lower case letter (see attachment russian_lang.PNG).
2. In Bootstrapper UI section I use "Display Information dialog" and "Override information text with .rtf file". But I can't set different .rtf files for different languages.
3. When setup ends it displays "Deleting extracted files..." message for short amount of time regardless of the language, but I've failed to find this string in dictionaries. Is it hardcoded into bootstrapper?

Best regards,
Daniel.
Attachments
russian_lang.PNG
Russian language in selector starts with lower case letter.
russian_lang.PNG (11.42KiB)Viewed 31939 times

mihai.petcu

Re: Minor localization issues

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Daniel,
Russian language in selector starts with lower case letter (see attachment russian_lang.PNG).
This seems to be related to that particular machine because Advanced Installer uses an .API which returns the string.
In Bootstrapper UI section I use "Display Information dialog" and "Override information text with .rtf file". But I can't set different .rtf files for different languages.
Here's How do I localize the EULA and ReadMe text? article to help you with this.
When setup ends it displays "Deleting extracted files..." message for short amount of time regardless of the language, but I've failed to find this string in dictionaries. Is it hardcoded into bootstrapper?
Is that text the following:

Code: Select all

<STRING id="ActionText.Description.AI_DeleteLzma" value="Deleting files extracted from archive"/>
I found it in the custom English dictionary.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

den

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi, Mihai,

Can you tell me more about API you use to extract language name string, so I can test it independently?
Thank you for link to the 'How do I localize the EULA and ReadMe text?' article, that will be helpful.
About 'ActionText.Description.AI_DeleteLzma' string - at first I thought so too, but actual text you can see in attachment 'installer_end.png'.
Sorry for low quality screenshot, it was hard to get.

Regards,
Daniel.
Attachments
installer_end.png
Actual text appearing at the end of the installation.
installer_end.png (16.35KiB)Viewed 31932 times

den

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 am

Hello,

Is there any news about this issue?

Regards,
Daniel.

Cosmin

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Daniel,
Can you tell me more about API you use to extract language name string, so I can test it independently?
This is actually a bug in Advanced Installer and it will be fixed in a future version. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
About 'ActionText.Description.AI_DeleteLzma' string - at first I thought so too, but actual text you can see in attachment 'installer_end.png'.
The text in your screen-shot is displayed by the EXE bootstrapper. Unfortunately we don't have a translation for it for Russian. If you can provide one, we will include it in the next release.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team

den

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:53 am

Hello, Cosmin,

Thanks for your explanation.
We are now translating installer of our headliner product to 9 languages (German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and simplified Chinese), so I can provide you translations of 'Deleting extracted files...' for all 9 languages if you like.

And I found another issue regarding package localization.
In my project I always use Enhanced User Interface (option 'Use Enhanced User Interface: Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)' in Themes).
When package was installed using some language other than english (which is default), on uninstall interface is displayed in english.

Best regards,
Daniel.

mihai.petcu

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Daniel,
When package was installed using some language other than english (which is default), on uninstall interface is displayed in english.
This can happen for several reasons. Can you please send us the project file (.AIP) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can see you current settings?

All the best,
Mihai

den

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 am

Hi, Mihai,

I've sent you my .aip file to support email. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Daniel.

mihai.petcu

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello,

We have tested this using the same settings as in your package and everything worked as expected. Installing in Russian for example will trigger the uninstall in the same language.

Can you please generate a bootstrapper log for install and uninstall so we can see what's happening on your machine?

All the best,
Mihai

den

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello, Mihai,

Ok, I'll try to investigate this issue further.

Best regards,
Daniel.

den

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi, Mihai,

I've create install log using .bat-file with command like this:
"[Path to executable]" /exelog
How can I get uninstall log, when I launch uninstall from "Programs And Features" console (OS is Windows 7)?

I guess that problem occurs because MSI databases for different languages have different product codes and on uninstall there is only one database for english language available. Maybe I should use "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" bootstrapper option or something similar?

Best regards,
Daniel.

mihai.petcu

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 am

Hello Daniel,
How can I get uninstall log, when I launch uninstall from "Programs And Features" console (OS is Windows 7)?
Unfortunately you can only generate a log by using the command line. Just use the /exelog command line when running the package in maintenance mode.
Maybe I should use "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" bootstrapper option or something similar?
Our testing with the default settings did not out the same behavior so there could be a problem with that particular machine. You can try the package on other machines and send us the logs so we can further investigate.

All the best,
Mihai

den

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am

Hello, Mihai,

If I run the package, which was installed in non-default language like Russian, in maintenance mode, everything works fine and UI is translated into Russian.
My actual problem is: when I launch uninstall from "Programs And Features" console, UI is displayed in default English language regardless of language used at installation.
I don't think this issue is someway related to particular machine because it can be easily reproduced on any machine (physical or virtual) which I have at my disposal.

Best regards,
Daniel.

Daniel

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:27 am

Hello Daniel,

In order to achieve this you can see my response from "Enhanced UI in uninstall problem" thread.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

den

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 am

Hello, Daniel,

I've answered you in the corresponding topic.

Best regards,
Daniel.

Return to “Common Problems”