den

Re: Minor localization issues

I've encountered another problem during package localization.

I create shortcuts in Application Shortcut Folder for application launch, opening product guide and run uninstall.
These shortcuts were always in english, but now I'm required to make them localizable into language, used at install.
They are localized successfuly, the actual problem is that when new package update previous version and other than english language was used during install, localized shortcuts are created, but previous version english shortcuts doesn't get removed. I understand this behaviour - shortcuts are installed under the SHORTCUTDIR component, which is the same in previous version and new version and can't be customized. I've tried changing SHORTCUTDIR path and guid, and creating new property based folder with SHORTCUTDIR's previous path and set it's component previous SHORTCUTDIR's guid but with no luck - install fails with message 'Could not access network location Property.OLD_SHORTCUTDIR', where OLD_SHORTCUTDIR - property containing previous SHORTCUTDIR's path.

How can I pass through this issue? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Daniel.
den

Hello,

Please advice me ASAP about shortcuts issue, it is very important!

Best regards,
Daniel.
mihai.petcu

Hello Daniel,

All shortcuts created by a previous version should be deleted on upgrade along with all resources. If they are not, you can try using "Uninstall Cleanup" feature from the folder's context menu in the Files and Folders page (previous version project).

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
den

Hello, Mihai,

I can't modify previous version because it' already distributed, I can only modify new version.
What if I create file removal operations for previous version shortcuts, which will execute only if installation language is not english?
Is it possible? Which condition should I create for these operations?

Best regards,
Daniel.
mihai.petcu

Hi Daniel,

Yes, you could try that. The condition should be something like:
OLDPRODUCTS
This property is set in the upgrading .MSI if the package found an older version installed on the target machine

Let us know how this turns out.

All the best,
Mihai
den

Hi, Mihai,

I've partially solved this issue by using file removal operations for old shortcuts with this condition:
OLDPRODUCTS AND NOT (ProductLanguage = 1033)
I'll plan to solve it completely after next version will be released by choosing one of these options:
1. Enable checkbox "Automatically use the previous version's language if installed". Now it is unchecked to provide users with opportunity to select installation language in next update. With this approach users won't be able to change initial install language, so no additional shortcuts will be created. To install in another language they should uninstall package first.
2. Write file removal operation for each shortcut in every language. Each operation will be triggered by condition like this:
OLDPRODUCTS AND NOT (ProductLanguage = [Language of shortcut operation is removing])
With this approach there won't be any restrictions in installing updates with changed language, but it is much more time-consuming ))
Do you see any pitfalls in my options? Can you suggest something better?

Best regards,
Daniel.
mihai.petcu

Hello Daniel,

This is a good working approach for your current scenario, but if you enable "Automatically use the previous version's language if installed" option this shouldn't be an issue anymore.
However, if the issue persists, then you could use the "Uninstall Cleanup" wizard which basically creates file removals for the actual version.

All the best,
Mihai
den

Hello,
I'm now have "Deleting extracted files..." bootstrapper message translated into 8 languages:

Chinese Simplified (PRC) - 删除解压的文件...
Dutch (Netherlands) - Uitgepakte bestanden verwijderen...
French (France) - Suppression des fichiers extraits...
German (Germany) - Lösche die extrahierte Dateien...
Italian (Italy) - Elimina file estratti dall'archivio
Russian (Russia) - Удаление извлеченных файлов...
Spanish (Spain) - Eliminando los archivos extraídos del almacenamiento...
Swedish (Sweden) - Raderar extraherade files...

Hope you'll get it translated in bootstrapper soon)
Best regards,
Daniel.
den

Hello,

And one more "Deleting extracted files..." bootstrapper message translation - Portuguese (Portugal): A eliminar ficheiros extraídos do ficheiro...

Best regards,
Daniel.
mihai.petcu

Hi Daniel,

Great, thanks for the translations, our development team will include these strings in a couple of releases from now.

All the best,
Mihai
den

Hi, Mihai,

Please let me know when you release version with these translations included, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Daniel.
mihai.petcu

Hi Daniel,

The translation should be included in the second release from now. You should have access to them by the end of next month.

All the best,
Mihai
den

Hi, Mihai,

You have already released several versions, does some of them contains translations I've provided or not yet?

Best regards,
Daniel.
den

UP
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Our last version (9.8) of Advanced Installer should include the related strings translation. You can rebuild, with version 9.8 of Advanced Installer, your project and test it.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”