jjones

Temporary files available during uninstall

I would like to uninstall SQL Express 2008 R2 as part of the uninstall process for this installer. Are temporary files available during uninstall? I would like to use a config.ini file to perform an unattended install. Worst case scenario, I can save the install and uninstall *.ini files in the directory with the application.
Cosmin

Re: Temporary files available during uninstall

Hi,

If you added it as a prerequisite, you can simply set its uninstall command line in the Setup Files tab. All paths should be relative to the main prerequisite setup file. You should also select the Packages tree item and enable the "Do not remove prerequisite files" option. This way the prerequisite files will be available during uninstall.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jjones

Thank you for the reply! The file I want to keep around is the uninstall .ini file to remove SQL Server Express 2008 R2. I have that currently as a temporary file and have the it not removed after setup. The issue I'm having is that it seems like the application uninstaller and app uninstaller are running at the same time and the app uninstaller removes the temporary file before the SQL uninstaller reads it.

Is there a way to leave temporary files indefinitely?
mihai.petcu

Hello,
Is there a way to leave temporary files indefinitely?
That's not the role of a temporary file. By definition, unlike regular files or resources, "Temporary Files" are copied on the target machine at the beginning of the installation and are deleted at the end of it, ensuring you have access to them throughout the entire install process.

A similar functionality can be achieved by using persistent properties. If you enable "Set persistent property" option for a property defined in the Install Parameters page, the property will be stored in the registry and available in maintenance mode (repair, uninstall, etc.).

Also, you may find the How do I uninstall another MSI package when my application is uninstalled? article helpful.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”