ales.hrodek

Re: AI_Recyclebin Folder on all drives

Wed May 21, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Dan,

I am sure it was definitely 9.9 because I never released installer make by previous version. I will watch company network if this happen again. Just now I'm thinking about one possibility, I experienced strange behaviour in earlier setups made by AI with Install/Uninstall order. My early setups had same Upgrade code as setups created by Install Shield. I changed Upgrade code when I realized that. If this is case then this should not happen in future.

grar

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 am

Hello

We are using advanced installer 11.5.1 and we are able to reproduce this issue.

We have a VM and map 2 network drives and check that there are no AI_RecycleBin folders.
We perform the setup built with version 11.5.1 and on both network drives the folder AI_RecycleBin gets created.

Since our customers are complaining about this we are looking forward for a fix.

Thank you.

Daniel

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Can you please send us the .aip (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If you cannot disclose the .aip (project file) you can try to isolate the behavior in a sample and send it us so we can investigate and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Daniel

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:51 am

Hello Roland,

After testing your sent sample I was able to replicate and isolate the issue. It seems the "AI_RecycleBin" folder is always created (and not deleted) on every mapped network drive when the "Do not overwrite existing file" option is set for an installation file. This is an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for helping us to isolate this. We'll notify you as soon as the fix will be out.

Until then, I'm afraid we don't have any workaround for this issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

All the best,
Daniel

grar

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you Daniel.
We will think about not using this option or we will wait for a fix.

Regards
Roland

Daniel

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:54 am

You're welcome Roland. We'll update this thread as soon as the fix will be out.

All the best,
Daniel

Dan

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:47 am

Hello,

This was fixed in version 11.9 of Advanced Installer released on March 17th, 2015.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Porpoise1954

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi,

I've arrived here after all these years , as I have just found these folders also. I don't know about the previous guys in this thread but on my systems, the folders are hidden (mine are date 2017). I have no diea how they got there - other than I must have (in 2017, presumably) installed a programme that used AI.

As it was all those years ago (my system has undergone several upgrades since then (I''m too lazy to start from scratch each time, as it would take weeks to re-install all the software, reconfigure and update licences etc.) I assume I can just delete them.

I only just came across the discovery, as I was using Winhex to search for some lost folders.

Cheers,
Steve

Catalin

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Hello Steve and welcome to our forums,

That folder is meant to be used during the installation process itself, not after.

With that being said, I would say it's safe to remove it.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Porpoise1954

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have now idea what programme might have used the AI installer, but I'm sure it would have been replaced/ugraded since 2017 so I thought it would probably be okay to delete these folders.

Best reagards,
Steve :D

Catalin

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 am

You are always welcome, Steve!
I have now idea what programme might have used the AI installer
Well, it is pretty hard to tell, since that's what Advanced Installer basically does - creates setup packages. It could have been any setup you installed on that machine.

Best regards,
Catalin
:)

sasha

Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:56 am

Well our QA just alerted me to this issue happening when using AI 20.7.1.

Catalin

Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:21 pm

Hello Sasha,

Are you able to consistently reproduce this on your machines?

If so, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can run some tests and further investigate this on my end as well?

Best regards,
Catalin

sasha

Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think I can do that. I personally have never seen it, but our QA see the issue occasionally. On the same system it happens

So, coming up with a sample project is unlikely...

Here is what the QA reported:
files are copied or moved to C:\AI_RecycleBin\ folder under a unique folder name. This is not always reproducible. A new folder in C:\AI_RecycleBin\ is created on every uninstall. This folder is sometimes removed after successful uninstall and sometimes it remains.
This C:\AI_RecycleBin\ Folder is a system protected folder and will only be visible by viewing hidden files.

Note: On Reinstall on the same machine, the files present in 'C:\AI_RecycleBin\{59133CF2-8809-46D0-B7B7-02282BA7995D}\1\Reporting' will point to 'C:\Program Files\Reporting' so any changes made will reflect to both locations.

Note: Not reproduceable always.

Catalin

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:23 pm

Hello Sasha,

Unfortunately, without being able to consistently reproduce this, I'm afraid I can not really offer much assistance.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”