brian

Surface Theme not showing VerifyRemoveDlg

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 am

I switched our basic project over to the Surface theme, and now when I click the Uninstall button I don't get a confirmation dialog box. It's computer science 101 to confirm with a user that they want to do something of this magnitude, so this shouldn't have changed...

I have not changed any other settings, just the theme. The VerifyRemoveDlg is in the list of Maintenance dialogs (under the InstallModel="Remove"), but I don't understand why it's not displaying....

Under the Product Details section only the Disable remove is unchecked, which is the same as it was before, but it's not working now...

Is this a bug in the Surface Theme? How do I get this to display?
Thanks,
Brian

mihai.petcu

Re: Surface Theme not showing VerifyRemoveDlg

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Brian,
Is this a bug in the Surface Theme? How do I get this to display?
I just tested this using 9.6.1 -> Black Surface and unfortunately cannot replicate the behavior. The VerifyReadyDlg is shown as expected.

Are you able to isolate the behavior on other projects? Also, does the behavior persist on several(clean) machines?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

brian

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Mihai. Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm able to reproduce this on two Windows 8 computers and I just confirmed that a Windows 7 computer is also not receiving the confirmation.

I've attached our aip file (which had a basic theme that was converted). Can you tell me what's wrong with this aip file? I'm suspecting that the conversion mechanism going to this theme is bad?

Thanks,
Brian
Last edited by brian on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mihai.petcu

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Brian,

I cannot replicate this behavior using your project file. I tried on both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Can you please send us the built package to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate?

All the best,
Mihai

mihai.petcu

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Brian,

I just realized you may be referring to uninstalling from Control Panel. In this case, this is a known bootstrapper conflict with OS behavior. Here's Uninstalling from program and features thread that has the steps to show the confirmation.

All the best,
Mihai

brian

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks again Mihai, but that solution doesn't really work as expected. This solution link is an odd workaround, the back button doesn't work and the checkbox is odd.

The dialog we want is included in the Surface theme, but it's not displaying. Can you review your Surface Theme for me? Please go to the following dialog:
Dialogs -> Maintenance folder -> MaintenanceTypeDlg -> Expand to see the InstallMode="Remove" -> Expand to see the VerifyRemoveDlg

VerifyRemoveDlg is there. This is the one that we want and it's not displaying to confirm that the end-user wants to remove.

How do we get the VerifyRemoveDlg to display when the end-user clicks to uninstall in the control panel?

Thanks,
Brian

mihai.petcu

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Brian,
This solution link is an odd workaround, the back button doesn't work and the checkbox is odd.
If you want, you can easily hide or disable the Back button from the Dialog editor.
VerifyRemoveDlg is there. This is the one that we want and it's not displaying to confirm that the end-user wants to remove.
This is a known behavior when using a theme which requires Enhanced UI. It manifests only when uninstalling from control panel.
How do we get the VerifyRemoveDlg to display when the end-user clicks to uninstall in the control panel?
Another way is described in the VerifyRemoveDlg from Add/Remove programs thread.

All the best,
Mihai

brian

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks Mihai, that last solution looks works.

Return to “Common Problems”