bashby

Shortcut AppUserModelID

Hello,

I need to set a 'AppUserModelID' (property "System.AppUserModel.ID") but do not see a way to do this. Is there a way to set arbitrary shortcut properties in Advanced Installer?

If not, can anyone recommend a way around this? I tried creating a Merge Module via WiX and included in my .aip but I'm not able to a) read the required properties such as [ProductName] or b) get it installed to the correct location using this method.

Thanks,

Bryan Ashby
Daniel

Re: Shortcut AppUserModelID

Hello Bryan and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

In order to achieve what you want you can proceed like this:
- Go to "Files and Folders" page and create a shortcut to an installed file (e.g. MyShortcutName).
- In the "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog enable "Disable Pin to Taskbar" option.
- Go to "Table Editor" page, select "MsiShortcutProperty" table and add a new row like this:
  • MsiShortcutProperty: unique_key
    Shortcut_: MyShortcutName
    PropertyKey: System.AppUserModel.ID
    PropVariantValue: desired value
- Go to "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog and uncheck "Disable Pin to Taskbar" option.
- Build and run your project.

Also, please keep in mind that our "Table Editor" feature is available only in an "Enterprise" or higher project type.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
bashby

Thank you Daniel, that worked perfectly.

I do have one question: What's with the enable/disable of the pinning option? This seems very obstructed and... odd!

Bryan
Daniel

Hello Bryan,
Thank you Daniel, that worked perfectly.
You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.
I do have one question: What's with the enable/disable of the pinning option? This seems very obstructed and... odd!
Starting with Windows 7 after you create a shortcut you can add it to Taskbar or to Start using its context menu options "Pin to Taskbar" and "Pin to Start". If you check the "Disable Pin to Taskbar" option from our "Shortcut Properties" dialog, then the related options will not be available for your shortcut after installation on target machine.

All the best,
Daniel
nextedge

Hi,

Is these an updated instruction for this? I have tried to follow it but i believe the instructions are outdated (given they are from 2012) and we have the same requirement in order to issue Windows 10 desktop notifications.
nextedge

Any answer to this?
Daniel

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I apologize for my delayed reply. We had two days off after the last weekend and now we are a bit busy.

In order to achieve what you want you can proceed like this:
1. Go to "Files and Folders" page and create a shortcut to an installed file (e.g. MyShortcutName).
2. In the "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog set the "Pin to Taskbar" combo box to "Disabled" option.
3. Go to "Table Editor" page, select "MsiShortcutProperty" table and add a new row like this:
  • MsiShortcutProperty: unique_key
    Shortcut_: MyShortcutName
    PropertyKey: System.AppUserModel.ID
    PropVariantValue: desired value
4. Go to "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog and set the "Pin to Taskbar" combo box to "Enabled" option
5. Build and run your project.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”