Riko

New prerequisites screen requires Richtext control

Congratulations on Advanced Installer 1.9!

It is one of the cleanest, easiest and cheapest MSI builders available!

One feature I particularly like is the prerequistes screen, which allows one to properly set up prerequisites for your installs. The best setup.exe in the business!

I have one problem with it though, on Windows 9x without MSI engines installed, the welcome screen of the prerequisites can't display the rich text (rtf). Instead it comes out all garbled in plain text. This is becuase the richtext control isn't installed for this OS.

The richtext control (richtx32.ocx) is the same one used by MSI in its license dialog, which is why the MSI engine packages install the control. You need to find a way to get around this - maybe use plain text if the control is not available?

Riko
Cata

Hi Riko,

Thanks for your kind words.

Are you sure about the RichEdit control issue? Because we are using the "RICHED32.DLL" library and the "RICHEDIT" control. We did that in order to make sure setup.exe runs on all versions of Windows. According to MSDN, RichEdit 1.0 was delivered with Window 95.

Please send us a screenshot of the garbled setup. You can also check with the type of control with a Spy. Maybe the RTF version is not recongized?

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Riko

Hi

It works fine on my XP machine, but on Win98 SE it doesn't recognize the RTF. I have some screenshots that I can send but there doesn't seem to be a way to attach them to the post. :(

If I run the MSI, the license screen which also uses RTF does display correctly, so obviously you are using a different component in the prerequisite screen. Sorry.

The specs of the machine are: Win 98 SE with Office 2000 and IE6, so I'm not sure why it isn't working...
Cata

Please send the screenshots as attachement in an email to support at advanced installer dot com. Thanks,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”