emjoi

Typical-Custom-Complete

I'm new to the Installer, so forgive me if my questions are obvious.

I have a collection of Java and straight C++ apps that I want to install.
I'd like to give the use the option to choose which ones to install. (And the ability to easily disable some, but that's another sotry)

I can add a "Choose Setup Type" dialog to the procedure, but I just cant figure out where I indicate what's to be listed in the "Custom" option.
And where do I say what's "Typical"?

thanks
Cata

Hello,

You should use the Organization panel to organize your product into features. For each feature you can specify its install level (Typical or Complete). You can select which components go into each feature.

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
emjoi

Okay,
I hit on the "Organisation" section and it makes sense.
You have to pre-organise your files into folders for it to work. You can't just pick individual files.

I am using the Java Products section to generate executables. They all use the same main Jar file, but with different entry points. Makes sense because they have alot of overlapping code.
But these are then Hardwired into TARGETDIR. I can't put then into separate folders so that they can be separted off into different Features.

And the Application Shortcut Folder.... how do I selectively choose what to put in there?

- Sorry. I'm new, and it's not entirely making sense to me yet.
emjoi

Nope. What I typed below doesn't work. When the installer is run I hit upon "The folder path 'thingie\JavaThing.ini' contains an invalid character."
It doesn't like the '\'.
I'll have to try something else.

Replying to myself as I figure things out.
So, when you create a "Java Product" it's name can include a folder path...
so a name like "thingie\JavaThing" will make a java app called "JavaThing" within the folder "thingie".

This can then be dragged into Feature in Organization.

Now to make sense of the Application Shortcut Folder.....
Cata

What happens is that currently AI creates components based on a few MSI rules but is not flexible enough to let you create and manage your own components. We're working on it.

In the meantime, what you can do is trying to bend these rules for you. Here you go:
A new component will be created for each:
- exe/dll/ocx/hlp/chm file
- target of a shortcut
- registry entry or ODBC datasource

All the other files in a folder will be groupped into a component.

So you should try groupping jars into folders, and then each will be a component, with the EXEs also as separate components. Now group those components into features.

Cata
emjoi

Part 1.
--------
Oh well. In the end, I just created batch files for the java programs, which I placed in separate folders.

I don't use the Java Products executable constructor at all. A Shame.
I lose the Java version checking, and a splash screen, but it still works enough for my needs.

I guess as a Feature Request I'd like the ability to place Java Executables in folders other than TARGETDIR.

-------------------------------
Part 2.
--------
Now when I do a Custom Setup, each Feature has 3 choices:
- Will be installed on the Hard Drive
- Entire Feature will be installed...
- Entire feature will be unavailable.

I manage to turn off "Feature will be installed when required" obscurely by checking the "Disallow Advertise" box.... whatever that means.

Now, how do I cut the 3 options down to two? I want to install the Entire Feature or none at all. Simple. I dont have any sub-components to partially install. Its harmless but needlessly confusing to have 3 options.
Cata

Moving files around is already on our todo list.

I am afraid you cannot elliminate the second option... it is for when your feature would have subfeatures.

Advertizes features are installed on demand, when the user tries to access the advertized functionality (through advertized shortcuts or API calls).

Cata

Return to “Common Problems”