Colorguy

How To Never Remove Or Overwrite A Folder And Its Files?

Once my installer runs for the first time on an end users machine, how can I make sure a specific folder can never be uninstalled by running uninstall programs? Additionally, if the end user runs the installer again, how can I make sure this specific folder is never overwritten with new files by the installer? Is this even possible? Thanks.
Eusebiu

Re: How To Never Remove Or Overwrite A Folder And Its Files?

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
Once my installer runs for the first time on an end users machine, how can I make sure a specific folder can never be uninstalled by running uninstall programs?
A simple way to achieve this is:
- go in the Organization page and create a new feature
- go in the Files and Folders page and from the context menu of the folder select the "Move to Feature" option to move the folder in the feature you created
- return to the Organization page, select every component from the feature that contains your folder and check the "Do not register this component with Windows Installer" option.

You can also hide this feature by selecting it and choose "Not Displayed" from the "Feature Tree" combo box.
Additionally, if the end user runs the installer again, how can I make sure this specific folder is never overwritten with new files by the installer?
In order to achieve this you can follow the steps below:
- go in the Files and Folders page, right-click on the folder and select "Properties"
- go in the "Operations" tab and select the "Do not overwrite existing files" option

Let us know if this helped.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Colorguy

In order to achieve this you can follow the steps below:
- go in the Files and Folders page, right-click on the folder and select "Properties"
- go in the "Operations" tab and select the "Do not overwrite existing files" option
Thanks for the reply.

I don't see an "Operations Tab" however. I own version 8.6 Professional. Is this something not available with my version?

Also, after creating the new Feature, all the files within this folder are still listed in the MainFeature. Should these now be deleted?
Colorguy

Looks like I'll have to upgrade tomorrow. Probably a good idea regardless. Just ran into another issue that's quite odd. My installer needs to place a 64bit dll that's a part of my anti-piracy scheme within a folder at the root of C: When I build the installer, it builds with no errors yet the installer itself disappears...as in the installer nowhere to be found within the designated output folder. If I take that dll out, all is fine. Weird?

So I just downloaded the latest version of Advanced Installer and gave it a shot with the trial. It works. So, I'll be paying for a new maintenance plan tomorrow morning once I get in. Apparently, 8.6 has some issues with certain 64 dll's, which is understandable as its quite old.

Thanks for a great product.
Eusebiu

Hi,

Indeed, the "Operations" tab is not available in Advanced Installer 8.6. There have been made a lot of improvements in our last versions and a lot of problems have been fixed.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”