Enoch

Installation Interface Problem

When I run the installation program produced by "Advanced Installer for Java" in my XP platform, I found that the graphics of the interface do not fit inside the installation window. My computer settings are following:

Platform Versio: Window XP SP 1
Screen resolution: 1280 X 1024
Font size: Large font (120 dpi)

I suspect that the problem is caused by the large font size setting. Can the problem be solved?
Cata

Larger fonts will make the dialogs bigger, as their size is expressed in dialog units - a function of font size. But the banner bitmaps have a fixed size. And stretching them looks awful.

The solution is to use larger bitmaps, large enough to fill the space when fonts are large. But please make sure they still look good when cut by the smaller dialog on small fonts.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
chrisdolan

image size

I'm seeing a similar problem using normal fonts (96 dpi), but with an appearance scheme that opts for 11 pt fonts instead of the standard 8 pt fonts. So, the problem appears to be with the absolute font size, not the resolution (you probably knew that, but I thought I'd be clear). Here's a screen shot:
http://www.clotho.com/staff/chris/installer.png

I see the same problem with my own installer built with v1.9.

That computer is running Windows 2000 with all updates applied (Service Pack 4). It's a ThinkPad A21p running at 1600x1200 with 32bit depth with the "IBM ThinkPad SXGA+" appearance scheme, which uses 11pt Tahoma everywhere. I have NOT seen similar problems my other Windows 2000 machine (Dell Dimension 4100, running at 1280x1024, 32 bit with the "Windows Standard" scheme), neither have I seen this issue on the two Windows XP machines that I've tested.

I'd MUCH rather have the dialog.jpg and banner.jpg scaled up and looking aliased than have it look buggy like the screenshot above. Is it feasible to query the window size and scale the image to that? Or, failing that, can we force the font in Advanced Installer? I hate to do that, since it violates the user's preferences, but the current incarnation just looks broken.

This is an important problem for me, and I'm a paid and registered user.

Chris Dolan
Philip

We are working on this as we speak.

One solution would be to have the image stretch to fit all the space of the dialog. If you have any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks for your help in tracking down this issue.

Best regards,

Philip
Philip Petrescu - Advanced Installer Team
Cata

The problem with the stretching solution is that it looks consistently bad no matter which resolution/font size is selected. Windows Installer computes dialog size based on the font size and the it uses for stretching images is of such nature that only the non-detailed images look good: plain colors or fractal patterns.

Any of the images AI ships with look crappy when stretched, because they have details.

This is why the recommended solution for supporting the large font users is to use MUCH larger images, so that they cover the entire area even when the fonts are set to LARGE, and they still look good when cut.

Of course, the downside of that is that the install package will get bigger.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”