MSI works when published, but not when assigned - Help!

Hi,

I have created an MSI that creates a single txt file on a users desktop. I am using a GPO in Active Directory to Assign the package to all users so that all users get the file on their desktop automatically.

The problem is that the file never gets created.

I have checked that the GPO is applied and the event log confirms that the package has been installed successfully, plus it appears in the Add/Remove Programs, it's just the file is not being created.

If a user manually installs the package from Add/Remove Programs (an Assigned package also seems to be published) then it works fine and the file is created as expected. It also works if a user manually runs the .msi file.

The package is configured to install "per user" and the GPO is assigned to Users (not computers). There are no errors in the event logs.

I am completely out of ideas on this one, can any one help me?

Thanks,

David

OK, I think I know what is happening. Basically, when a package is Assigned to a user it is only partitally installed (components are registered and shortcuts are created, but no files are installed). The rest of the installation only occurs "on demand" when a user tries to use the application. I believe this is known as advertising.

My problem is that my package is only one file on the desktop, therefore there are no shortcuts or anything else to trigger the remainder of the installation.

So, does anyone know how to force a full installation?

This needs to work for Win2k and XP clients.

Thanks,

David
Cata

Unfortunately, advertized shortcuts are not supported yet. We have them scheduled for a future version.

And I don't know how to force the full install... maybe the "Disalow advertize" in the feature's attributes (Organization page)?

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

there is your answer in Active Directory windows 2003
you can FORCE install at First logon.

I do not now how to this in Windows 2000 AD

Regards,
Fabrice

Return to “Common Problems”