slawomir.zurek

AutoUpdater via network share - questions

Hello,
Enterprise users of our software need easy solution to install upgrade (via network share, not web) on all desktops. So i integrated AutoUpdater in our application - local administrator can configure in our software network path, where setup (single msi) and update configuration file is stored. It works well, but I have a questions, to make it working better ;-) :

Essential parameter in update configuration file is URL pointing to setup file - is there a way to set its value dynamically (via command line parameters) or provide "default value" - same path as update configuration file? Now, to properly configure AutoUpdater admin has to point location of update configuration file and manually edit this config setting in URL the same path. It would be much more comfortable if I can eliminate need of editing update configuration file.

Second question is some kind of feature - can You think about a little different updater UI in case when there is only one update available - no list of available updates, but simple form with "update/cancel" buttons ?

Regards
Slawek
PS: sorry for my english, but i have rare occasion to use it....
Eusebiu

Re: AutoUpdater via network share - questions

Hi Slawek and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.
Essential parameter in update configuration file is URL pointing to setup file - is there a way to set its value dynamically (via command line parameters) or provide "default value" - same path as update configuration file?
In order to set the URL value dynamically you can use the -url <location> switch when you launch the updater.
Second question is some kind of feature - can You think about a little different updater UI in case when there is only one update available - no list of available updates, but simple form with "update/cancel" buttons ?
We'll consider your suggestion for adding this feature, but for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
slawomir.zurek

Hi, Eusebiu
Thank You for quick answer.
Essential parameter in update configuration file is URL pointing to setup file - is there a way to set its value dynamically (via command line parameters) or provide "default value" - same path as update configuration file?

In order to set the URL value dynamically you can use the -url <location> switch when you launch the updater.
I will try to be more precise. I think, i'm using properly "url" switch when launching updater: it's a way to dynamically point where is stored Update Configuration File (aiu). My need is one step futher - in Update Configuration File (below is contents of my aiu file) there is URL line which inform Updater where setup file is located (where is it to download). It is obvius that this parameter is required in case of updating via http:\\, but in (my) case of update stored on network share setup file (eg IntensePlatformSetup.msi) could be mostly located next to Update Configuration File (aiu). I think updater can handle situation with empty URL (eg: "file:\\") and search for setup file (name provided in ServerFileName) in folder where aiu file is located.
From my point of view, now the user of our software have to perform two very similar actions, to properly configure netwrok share update:
1) point where is located aiu file (eg: \\server\share\subdir\IntenseUpdate.aiu)
2) edit this aiu file i set URL line to: file://\\server\share\subdir\IntensePlatformSetup.msi
It would be very comfortable if i could provide to my users one universal update configuration file - with no need to edit this file.

Sorry for long (maybe too long) explanation - I hope You understand my way of thinking.

Code: Select all

;aiu;

[Update]
Name=Intense Platform
ProductVersion=9.1.162
URL=file://\\bimber\intensebuild\IntenseGotowe\IntensePlatform91\_LastSetup\IntensePlatformSetup.msi   [b]proposed ==> URL=file://   - when leave empty updater could search for setup in aiu file location[/b]
Size=149707776
MD5=599c7423ff0c2b1e2f3fc75945043d6d
ServerFileName=IntensePlatformSetup.msi
Flags=Critical
FilePath=[APPDIR]Intense.exe
Version=9.1.0.162
Description=Aktualizacja do wersji: 9.1.162
Feature=future 1
Feature1=future2
Enhancement=poprawa 1
Enhancement1=poprawa 2
BugFix=bug 1
BugFix1=bug 2
AutoCloseApplication=[APPDIR]Intense.exe|;;AlwaysRestart

We'll consider your suggestion for adding this feature, but for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your suggestion.
This is exactly what I wanted to achieve - it's only suggestion. ;-)

Best regards,
Slawek
Eusebiu

Hi Slawek,

I'm afraid that leaving the URL field empty is not allowed in an Update Configuration File. However, I'm not sure why you need this, do you move the .aiu file very often from a location to another? If so, you can try create a script that changes the URL automatically to the correct value.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
slawomir.zurek

Eusebiu wrote:I'm afraid that leaving the URL field empty is not allowed in an Update Configuration File. However, I'm not sure why you need this, do you move the .aiu file very often from a location to another? If so, you can try create a script that changes the URL automatically to the correct value.
Yes, I understand that leaving URL filed empty is not allowed, so I made workaround in my application. But it is additional action, which user has to perform - it would be nice if i can get rid of it.

You asked about moving .aiu file - I'm moving this file all the time: we are developing application for enterprises, and our goal is to give them functionality of easy version upgrade on all workstation in their enterprise. They don't want to connect to external (our) servers - they need to download msi and .aiu file once, put it network share. I would call this scenario "every enterprise want to have own update server". They want to decide when to upgrade.
I (as software developer) don't know - more, I even don't want to know, where they will put setup and .aiu file ;) - I gave them possibility to configure update files location - this URL field is the one and only parameter needed to change in .aiu file. So I wonder if it could have any default. In my opinion the URL defined as empty: "file://", could have meaning "look for setup file next to .aiu file".

Of course i do not treat this as bug or very important functionality - this is not very common scenario. Please, consider if my suggestion is worth implementing in future.

Best regards,
Slawek
PS: I'm very glad with choosing Your product. Really useful piece of software :D
Eusebiu

Hi Slawek,

I'm glad you like our product satisfies you.

I added this improvement on our TODO list and as long as other users will have the same request we will increase its priority and implement it in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Dan

Hello,
This improvement has been added in version 11.6 of Advanced Installer released on October 23rd, 2014.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Catalin

Hello,

An improvement to configure the Updater to use an updates setup download URL relatively to the updates configuration file download URL was added in Advanced Installer 15.8, released on March 20th, 2019.

Basically you could configure the Updater to look for the updates setup package on the web server hosting the updates configuration file at a URL built relatively to the download URL of the updates configuration file. Also, this approach works only for local network paths using the "file" protocol.

For instance, accordingly with the URL you configured in "Updates configuration file URL" field from "Updater" page of your setup project, if the Updater looks for your updates configuration file at the following file URI address:

file://e:\test\updates.txt
and you want the updater to automatically compute at runtime the URL of the updates setup and try to download it from a URL like this

file://e:\test\updates.msi
then you should just configure your updates configuration project like this:
1. go to "Updates" page -> "Properties" tab and set the "Main URL" field like this:

file://
2. leave "Mirror URL" field empty
3. build your updates configuration project

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”