stereoman

Problem with AdvancedInstaller 1.9 on Windows 2000

I created an installer using Windows 2000 and AdvancedInstaller 1.9 (I haven't upgraded our build machine to 2.0 yet). It seems to install fine on several machines around the office, including a virtual pc running a fresh copy of windows 2000.

However, two beta testers have reported problems when installing. In both cases, it tells them that the install was created with a trial version of AdvancedInstaller (we own a license and no other machines say this). Then our custom action fails because a DLL that is supposed to be installed is not found.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Jason
Cata

However, two beta testers have reported problems when installing. In both cases, it tells them that the install was created with a trial version of AdvancedInstaller (we own a license and no other machines say this).
That should not happen. The trial message is only inserted in the MSI when AI is unlicensed. Try to get the MSI back from your tester and run it on your machine.
our custom action fails because a DLL that is supposed to be installed is not found.
That means that your CA has external dependencies wich are present on your test machines but not on your customer's. You must check every signle thing you use in the CA.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Cata wrote:The trial message is only inserted in the MSI when AI is unlicensed. Try to get the MSI back from your tester and run it on your machine.
Is it possible to dissect an installation that was sent as an EXE file? We created the install, uploaded it to a web server. Then we downloaded that to the internal test machines and the beta tester downloaded it to their machine. I don't see how they can be different but I will check.
Cata wrote:That means that your CA has external dependencies wich are present on your test machines but not on your customer's. You must check every signle thing you use in the CA.
The dependency is included in the installer. On our test machines they dll is installed by our installer. On the beta tester's it is not.
stereoman

Oops

Sorry, that last replay was from me. I forgot to login.
stereoman

A clue?

If the user in question had an older alpha version that had been created with an unlicensed version of AdvancedInstaller and attempted to upgrade would the uninstaller display the message about being unlicensed?

We just had someone else report the issue but when they uninstalled the old version manually everything worked ok.
Cata

Yes, that's probably it. I don't understand the DLL side of things though.
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stereoman

Solved

I was able to reproduce the problem by installing the older version on a test machine and then installing the newer one. It starts installing, detects the older version and begins uninstalling. For some reason this fails.

The solution was to uninstall manually. Now everything works fine.

The DLL was a red-herring. That apparently only happened on one persons computer and when I looked closer, they had deleted the old version without uninstalling. AdvancedInstaller was trying to uninstall but its files had already been deleted so it failed.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Return to “Common Problems”