ahmedA

Another version of this product is already installed.

I updated my package chose 'patch'. And it throws this...

Installed product version is: 1.01.8 and the one I'm trying to install is 1.01.9

Why is it throwing this code then?
Eusebiu

Re: Another version of this product is already installed.

Hi,

That error is thrown if you try to install two packages with the same Product Code, but with different configurations on the same machine.

Indeed, when a patch is created, the old and the new version of the product will have the same Product Code, but the new version cannot be directly installed over the old version. In order to have the patch, you need to create a Patch Project and follow the steps described in the Authoring a Windows Installer patch tutorial.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ahmedA

Oh I see. So the only way is to pick 'upgrade' when prompted? Will that not change the GUID every time then?

All I'm doing with each update is a few file changes/updates, however I am not truly interested in having it as a mere patch, because I want users who do not have the program to be able to install the entire program, those that have an older version to simply ahve the previous version uninstalled by installer and then the new install to run. It worked then suddenly stopped..

I wrote a script that searches the registry for the installed app name and then get the GUID.. then perform an uninstall then install the msi silently but... not exactly what I wanted at first.
Eusebiu

Hi,

The best approach for your scenario is to select "Major Upgrade" after you change the version. In this case when you install the new version, the old one will be uninstalled and the new one will be installed.

I'm not sure why it does not work anymore. This may happen if you used the "Patch" option instead of "Major Upgrade" or the Upgrade Code of your product have been changed from the old version to the new one.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
rachel.larralde

Having this issue as well. Followed all the instructions with Product Codes / Upgrade codes and adding the older version numbers on the upgrades page but now I have to use the Repair option every time to uninstall the old version. Still seeing two versions installed on my system.
Eusebiu

Hello,

I'm not sure why you encounter this problem. In order to have a better view, can you please send me the two .AIPs (the old version and the new version) and a verbose log of the upgrade to support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can investigate them?

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”