jeffg22

Launch Another Installation

Hi -

I'm using AI to build an install for my VB.NET application that uses an MSDE (Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Edition) database. As part of my install, I need to install MSDE by executing its setup.exe installer. At the end of the installation, both my app and MSDE should be installed on the user's computer.

I've tried inserting the MSDE setup.exe as an installed custom action as part of the install stage or as part of the commit stage. Both have the same result: Before my Finish dialog is displayed, setup.exe starts and quickly stops with a message telling me "Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install." When I click OK on that message, my Finish dialog is displayed, but MSDE is not installed.

How can I use AI to install both my app and MSDE??

Thanks for your help.

- Jeff
Cata

Install MSDE as a Prerequisite. In Media page, Prerequisites tab.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jeffg22

Well, that doesn't seem to work -

The MSDE setup program requires the presence of several files. I'm delivering those files as part of my app. If I run the MSDE setup.exe as a prerequisite, it runs before those files are delivered (extracted from the install). It fails because it can't find those files.

Please help.

- Jeff
Cata

You are right. The prerequisites functionality only supports single-file setups. (Maybe we should add support for zipped-up multi-file setups.)

On the other hand, Windows Installer can't launch embedded installs as Custom Actions, because it is not reentrant.

Unless you have a Merge Module for MSDE, I don't see a solution...

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”