New User

Newbie question, how to manage licenses in adv ins

Hi

I am looking for an installer for one of our java applications. We were planning to use a 3rd party tool like JProductivity or JChain for managing licenses.

Advanced Installer looks like it fits the first requirement. But, i did not understand how to plugin or call the license manager functionality from the user registration mechanism of Adv Ins. I am confused a little bit here.

I was under the impression that the installer would have control over license management issues (as checking of license would probably be done some where in 2nd or 3rd screen of installation process). I looked at "Developing a DLL for serial number validation" section but feel like it is of no great use. Can someone explain me how the installer and license manager work together and how to interconnect these 2 pieces of software?

Thanks in advance
sam
Cata

Hi Sam,

Generally speaking, the license control should be integrated into the application, not the installer.

That being said, Advanced Installer supports user registration at install time like this: in the Registration dialog the user will input a registration number and then a DLL will be called for validating that number. The Help topic gives an example for writing that DLL.

All you have to do is to add that dialog to the installation in the Dialogs page and select the validating DLL when prompted.

Hope that helps,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”