prerak6962

SQL Server Test

Hello,
I am trying to verify my SQL connection before moving on with the installation of my application. I performed all the steps mentioned in the "How-to/testODBCConnection" and all things are running fine except one thing. I am connecting to a remote database server in my network with an IP. If I give the correct server IP, everything is good but if I provide wrong IP, the dialog saying "Please wait white testing connection" pops up and keeps on running without any error message. After sometime, it becomes unresponsive and if I click on it 2-3 times, it vanishes. As per me, it should raise an error of the server is not available. I have given "SqlConnectionTimeout" property too in "Install Parameters".

Kindly let me know what I am missing here.

Regards,
Prerak
Dan

Re: SQL Server Test

Hi Prerak,

You might get the Please wait white testing connection popup (although you set SqlConnectionTimeout property) if you are using the 11.7.1 version of Advanced Installer.
So, can you please try to use the latest version of Advanced Installer and see if the behaviour still persist?
If it does, please send us the .AIP (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it. If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
prerak6962

Hi Dan,

I updated my Advanced Installer to 11.8. But still the problem persist. If I send you the "setup.aip" file, it will contain the credentials of the server on my network. So I think you won't be able to regenerate the problem. For testing, you can simply add a "PredefinedConnection" in "SQL Databases" tab with the credentials of any database server that you have on your network. Test the connection with the "Test" button and I think you will be able to regenerate the problem on your side.

Prerak
Dan

Hi Prerak,

I've tested your scenario but I cannot replicate it.

Please note that the Login timeout value from the Connection properties is used during Run time of the installer, not when you are testing it.
If you want to set the timout connection when you are testing the connection, please set the SqlConnectionTimeout property with the desired value in the InstallParameters page.
The sample project is attached to this thread, so if you are interested to take a look directly at my project, you are more than welcome to download the ZIP file.

Best regards,
Dan
Attachments
SampleSQLConnectionTimeOut.zip
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
prerak6962

Hi Dan,

Yes, I got that. After the given timeout, it gives an error saying "Connection Timeout Exceeded". But is it not possible to generate an error saying "Server address is wrong/ server unavailable" or anything related to server. It gives a better understanding to client and he knows that he has to modify the server address. If this is achievable, kindly let me know.

Thank you,
Prerak
Dan

Hi Prerak,

I'm afraid that you cannot change the Connection Timeout Exceeded message. However, we will rephrase this message. Thank you for your suggestion.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Common Problems”