ElectronShepherd

Features bundle question and a really minor bug

Can you provide some insight into how this is implemented? Will an installation created now add the required features on Windows 10 and the next version of Windows Server?

The minor bug: When you add a Windows Features bundle with the "New Windows Features Bundle" menu item, a feature bundle called "Feature Bundle" is added. You can press F2 or right-click and pick rename, and the UI accepts the rename, in that it lets you type a new name. As soon as you drop out of edit mode, if you have no features selected, the name reverts to "Feature Bundle". The rename operation only "sticks" if you have at least one feature selected.
Dan

Re: Features bundle question and a really minor bug

Hello,
Will an installation created now add the required features on Windows 10 and the next version of Windows Server?
No, you will need to install the version of Advanced Installer that will support newest OSs.
The minor bug: When you add a Windows Features bundle with the "New Windows Features Bundle" menu item, a feature bundle called "Feature Bundle" is added. You can press F2 or right-click and pick rename, and the UI accepts the rename, in that it lets you type a new name. As soon as you drop out of edit mode, if you have no features selected, the name reverts to "Feature Bundle". The rename operation only "sticks" if you have at least one feature selected.
Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ElectronShepherd

Dan wrote:No, you will need to install the version of Advanced Installer that will support newest OSs.
So if I build an installation today that uses a feature bundle to add IIS features (this is exactly what I'm doing), and sell that to a customer tomorrow, when that customer tries to run the installation on Windows 10 when it is released in a few months, the IIS features won't be added?
ElectronShepherd

Dan wrote:Will an installation created now add the required features on Windows 10 and the next version of Windows Server? No, you will need to install the version of Advanced Installer that will support newest OSs.
I created a simple installer that enabled ISAPI processing for IIS, and installed it on the CTP of Windows Server Next (which is reporting a kernel version of 6.4) and it installed as expected, adding the IIS role and the required role services.

AI has the capability to limit the addition of features to situations when the installer is running on selected operating systems, but what happens if it runs on a newer one? Dan's answer below implies that it won't add the features, but my experience is different. Have I missed something?

If the code that determines if the feature bundle is applicable to the operating system version sees kernel version 6.4 (as reported by Windows Server CTP) or even kernel version 10.0 (as rumoured to be the case for Windows 10 on release), what does it do?
ElectronShepherd

Re: Features bundle question and a more serious bug

Some more info, and what I think is a more serious bug.

My installation uses the Windows Features functionality of AI to add IIS support if it is not currently configured. We have two installs - one adds support for IIS and ISAPI extensions only, the other adds support for IIS, ASP, ISAPI extensions, Default Document and Static Content.

I ran my installation that just installs ISAPI extensions on Server2008 (not R2 - this is on kernel v6.0) and received the message

"This version of IIS is not supported or IIS is not fully installed !

You need Internet Information Services 5.0 or above."

Basically, while running an installation to add IIS support, the installer tells me I need to have IIS installed first...

I attempted to replicate the problem by running a test install. The test install adds a FeatureBundle that includes ISAPI extensions, and nothing else. I selected all eight operating systems, and built the test install. When I run this test install, it seems to complete successfully, but does not actually at the IIS role or the ISPI extensions role service. It appears to do nothing at all.

I have also tested the exact same software on Server 2008 R2, Server 20212 and Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server CTP, and it works as expected on all those platforms. That leads me to believe that this is an issue with AI rather than the way my installation has been built.
Dan

Hello,
"This version of IIS is not supported or IIS is not fully installed !
You need Internet Information Services 5.0 or above."
When a new website is created in the Advanced Installer project, an IIS launch condition is automatically enabled in the Software tab from the Launch Condition page. Since you made sure that IIS is enabled on the target machine, via Windows Features, it is safe to remove the software launch condition.

Please let me know if the behaviour still persist.

Best regards,
Dan
ElectronShepherd

The launch condition is already disabled. Nothing is ticked on the Software tab of Launch Conditions, and there are no Custom conditions either. This only happens on Server 2008, anyway. It works fine on 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012R2, none of which have the IIS role installed before running my installation.

It looks a bit like http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... 050#p79871 - perhaps the two are related.
Dan

Hi,

Please contact us on support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can sent you a debug dll which can give us more details about the encountered behaviour.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan

Hi,

We have investigated this and it seems that a new dependency has to be added. This will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer. Until then, you can enable the Windows Process Activation Service -> Process Model as you can see in the attached image:
ProcessModel.png
ProcessModel.png (27.2 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Daniel

Hello,

This was fixed in version 16.3 of Advanced Installer released on September 4th, 2019.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”