Paul Gee

Registering dlls and ocx files

Hi Team, love ya work

I am using 2.1, and want to push some specific files to Windows\System32 and then register them, so that their associated application is Micrsoft Register Server.

They are of the extensions .dll and .ocx.

What do I need to do other than add them to the Files and Folder on Windows Volume\Windows\System32 (a folder I created)?

Cheers
Paul
Cata

Hi Paul,

You should also open the Properties dialog for those files and check the "Auto register" box.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Paul Gee

Tried that already, it fails to register them with the OS

And it fails with an error on only SOME of the files. On the ones that didn't fail, even after a reboot, the files do not have the Application "Microsoft Register Server" associated to them to launch, hence are not registered.

I also read in the F1 help that App Installer says that Microsoft do not recommend this method.

What's next?
Paul
Cata

Hmm, did you actually want to self-register these files? How would you do it without AI? Where did you get those files from? Their authors should also give you the registration information and means as well.

You can associate installed applications to files in the File Associations table and you can do pretty much anything in a Custom Action.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”