KimR

[SOLVED]Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit install

Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi,

Im busy setting up a mixed 32bit/64bit install project.

While using the wizard i take the following steps.

1/ I remove all files flagged as 64bit exclusive ( we wont be using them but i still want them present on the machine )
2/ in the second option window im not sure what to do so i marked that ALL 32BIT files also need to be installed for the 64Bit machine.
3/ i choose the option not to change existing features
4/ i choose seperate databases

( basicly our entire application is 32bit application , the reason for a mixed installer is because of drivers that need to be installed which obviously need a mixed installer )

However when i look at the organization i see that a lot of my files have been set to the condition : "VersionNT64".
This worries me as i assume this means that these ( 32bit exes and DLLs ) will not be installed on a 32bit OS.

What steps should i follow with the wizard for mixed install in order to achieve an organization without a single condition ( the few that are needed i will ad manually )
switching them all manually seems a bit backwards considering im dealing with a couple 100s of files.

Greetings

Kim
Last edited by KimR on Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel

Re: Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit install

Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 am

Hello Kim,

To install a mixed driver files it is mandatory to use the "Mixed 32/64-bit matching the platform" package type. Therefore in order to achieve what you need you can proceed like this:

1. Create only one setup project having a mixed package type. If you want your application files be always installed (on 32 and 64-bit machines), then you should NOT add them by using the mixed package type wizard (this is because, as you already saw, our mixed package wizard adds conditions on the files components based on the selected architecture during the wizard). Only the driver files should be added using the mixed package type wizard. So, you should add the driver files using the mixed wizard and, then manually add the application files in the desired folders from "Files and Folders" page.

2. As a second approach, you can build your main setup as a 32-bit package type and, then create a separate mixed package for your driver installation and add the mixed driver setup as a prerequisite to your main project.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

KimR

Re: Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit install

Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Thank you Daniel

2. As a second approach, you can build your main setup as a 32-bit package type and, then create a separate mixed package for your driver installation and add the mixed driver setup as a prerequisite to your main project.

I hadn't thought about that before but this will solve our issues and it will make more sense to.

Thx again

Daniel

Re: [SOLVED]Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit ins

Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm

You're always welcome Kim.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

treynolds

Re: [SOLVED]Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit install

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:44 pm

I've moved to a 32bit/64bit setup, but a client complains that as the extension now has to be *.exe rather than *.msi he can no longer do automated installs.

Is there a way round this?

Thanks
Tony Reynolds

Catalin

Re: [SOLVED]Automatic install conditions for 32bit/64bit install

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:58 am

Hello Tony and welcome to our forums,

Indeed, when using the 32/64-bit mixed package, the output must be an EXE file. Basically, this EXE bootstrapper contains both version of the MSI and will install them accordingly.

Regarding the automation, the EXE can be automated, however this depends on the scenario.

Most likely, your user is using something like Intune which indeed does not allow, for instance, silence installation for EXE files.

More information can be found in the following article:

Intune Deployment Tool
Is there a way round this?
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I am not aware of any way around this, as the mixed package requires an EXE setup as the output.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”