micamoita

Installing .NET ActiveX as current user

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

I'm having hard times figuring out how to install my ActiveX component, which is developed as a .NET assembly, without the generated setup package needing to be launched as administrator.
To be more precise, I am in need of installing this component without administrator privileges, and I'm fine to just have a current-user availability of this ActiveX, as described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
Unfortunately, having developed the ActiveX in .NET, I need to register it via Advanced Installer, and not from a typical .CAB package which uses regsvr32 to register DLLs.
The problem, however, is that the package created with advanced installer, fails with the error message I attach ("The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation").
I took care of specifying, as my COM object's registry path, the current-user option (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID), and I also instructed Advanced Installer to create a "Per-user only" installation type package, without the need of being launched as admin.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Is my approach even viable?

Thanks so much.
Attachments
Schermata 2015-06-04 alle 12.01.49.png
Setup error after confirming installation
Schermata 2015-06-04 alle 12.01.49.png (10.38KiB)Viewed 2574 times

mihai.petcu

Re: Installing .NET ActiveX as current user

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello,

There seems to be a restriction policy set by your administrator preventing installations. This is not necessarily related to admin privileges.
Can you please check with your system administrator and see what this is about?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”