psf

Group Policy problem with custom actions

Using AI 11.4.1, I have developed a test install version 1.0, which delivers 1 file, and has an install/uninstall managed custom action (which just sets a value in the registry).
I have also developed a version 1.1, which does the same, except that the custom action is in a different assembly.
Both these setups install and uninstall fine.
Also, I can install 1.0, and then install 1.1 (which does an upgrade) which also works fine.

I have set up Group Policy to deliver and install version 1.0 to machines belonging to that policy.
After rebooting a client machine , version 1.0 was installed correctly by Group Policy.
I then uninstalled 1.0 , from the Control Panel. This appeared to work correctly, in that the installation directory was removed, and the registry was updated.
I then attempted to install version 1.1. Partway through the install (where the custom actions get invoked), I get a message box displayed , titled 'Installer Information', and with text "System.ArgumentException: String cannot have zero length.." (see attachment). I have attached the installation log file. line 1137 is where the problem occurs; there is an empty parameter "" which I think usually contains the name of the assembly which olds the custom action to be invoked. And if you look in the file system at this point, while the messagebox is still displayed, the target installation folder does not yet exist.
Do you have any ideas regarding this issue?
I can provide the test install projects if you wish.
Regards
Paul
Attachments
GPissue.LOG
(280.81 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
GPissue.png
GPissue.png (19.96 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Dan

Re: Group Policy problem with custom actions

Hello,

I'm not sure why you encountered the this behavior.
In order to have a better view about this, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”