Zsolt Kollarits

Auto Updater: Notification is needed at the end of a successful update

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

May I ask you if there is a possibility of showing a notification to the user when your Auto Updater has finished by installing an update?

Current behavior:
1. We download our updates into a folder.
2. We start you Auto Updater exe file based on an update configuration file that points to our local updates (using file:// protocol).
3. InstallUpdates dialog appears, we click on the "Next" button.
4. Auto Updater installs the update without any problems. When the installation procedure is done, "InstallUpdates" dialog is just gone.

We´re wondering what if a customer´d like to get a confirmation about the result of the updating mechanism? Of course they could open "Programs and Features" and see the result over there, but we´d rather show a notification dialog for them at the end of the operation. Keeping InstallUpdates dialog on the screen and having a message like "You successfully upgraded your product." on it is also an option.

Is there any way of doing this in Advanced Installer? Could you please tell me what are your proposals to solve this?

Best regards,
Zsolt
Dan

Re: Auto Updater: Notification is needed at the end of a successful update

Hi Zsolt,

Indeed, the Updater UI is automatically closed after the upgraded version is installed. I'm afraid we do not have support for this.

By the way, when performing an upgrade, the upgraded version is launched with FULL UI? In this case, you can display a custom message on the ExitDialog and let the user know that the upgrade process has been successfully performed.

Of course, you should only display this message then the upgrade process take place (when an old version of the installation package is found on the target machine). For this, you can use Control Conditions. In order to determine if an Upgrade is performed, please take a look on the How do I determine if an Upgrade is being performed? article.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response!

The problem is that we´d like to perform the update in the background in a silent way (for this purpose we use your advanced updater service which - I think - uses the /qn switch to install everything silently), but still show a notification at the end.
So that no UI is visible during the installation procedure, just in the end the info about the status (the operation was successful or not).

Do you think our special scenario might work in a way?

Regards,
Zsolt
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Advanced Installer Support Team,

More and more customers are complaining about this issue, so I needed find this ticket and I´d like to ask your opinion about it again.

Our customer would like to start a full-silent instalaltions in the background, continue their work, BUT they still would like to get a small notification (dialog or whatever) when the installation in the background is done.

Would it be possible somehow?

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

Hello Zsolt,

As a workaround solution you could write your own small custom action that will display the related message box. Then schedule the custom action as an action with sequence in "Custom Actions" page just after "Install Execution Stage -> Finish Execution" action group. Use a condition like this for your custom action:

Code: Select all

NOTIFY_PROP
Configure the updates configuration project to set the "NOTIFY_PROP" property when launching silently your updates setup package. Just append into "Command line" field (from "Updates" page -> "Update Installer" tab) the following parameter:

Code: Select all

NOTIFY_PROP="1"
This way when the updates setup is launched through our Updater tool the "NOTIFY_PROP" property will be set and your custom action will display a status message box at the end.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”