Joshr

AI not sequencing "refresh" dialog events correctly

When AI creates its duplicate dialog, which is used to make "Refresh the current dialog" action work, it does not keep the order of ControlEvents consistent.

I have one dialog: CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg. AI generates CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg_1 and toggles between them each time "Refresh the current dialog" action is executed.

The problem is that CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg_1 does NOT have the same sequence of events as CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg does. This results in my custom actions not being called correctly and the dialogs doing some really wacky stuff (technical term).

I have attached a screenshot of the MSI generated by Advanced Installer. The two blocks in red highlight what I mean.

The first block shows (CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg, Next control):
  • AI_DATA_SETTER_17 (Sequence 59)
  • SqlEscapeCcicDatabase (Sequence 60)
  • AI_DATA_SETTER_19 (Sequence 61)
  • SqlEscapeCcicDbDatabaseIdentifier (Sequence 62)
The second block shows (CcicSqlServerConnectionRuntimeDlg_1, Next control):
  • AI_DATA_SETTER_17 (Sequence 61)
  • AI_DATA_SETTER_19 (Sequence 62)
  • SqlEscapeCcicDatabase (Sequence 63)
  • SqlEscapeCcicDbDatabaseIdentifier (Sequence 63)
Notice in the second block, the sequence causes the data setters and custom actions to be fired out of order. Also, the two custom actions have the same sequence (63).
Attachments
SequenceOrderBug.png
SequenceOrderBug.png (147.68 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
Dan

Re: AI not sequencing "refresh" dialog events correctly

Hello,

Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

By the way, have you tried using the SQL Server Connection Dialog (SQLServerConnectionDlg) from our predefined list of dialogs?

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Joshr

Thanks, Dan. Any idea on when the new version may be available or do you have any work-around? This is holding up my development for our installer.

I did use your pre-made SqlConnectionDialog, but Advanced Installer only lets me add one of them. I need to connect to two different databases, so I had to copy and rename it.
Dan

Hello,

I apologize for my delay reply.

I'm afraid I cannot give you an ETA for the fix. Is to soon. We usually release a new version of Advanced Installer each month.

The workaround is to manually edit the sequence of the actions in a .MSI editor (e.g. Orca). Please let me know if this approach is working as expected.

Best regards,
Dan
Joshr

Hi Dan,

I didn't see anything about this bug in the change log for the past few versions, but I may be missing it. Has this issue been fixed?

I've been avoiding the issue by disabling any functionality that refreshes the dialog. This disables some UI enhancements, but it's an acceptable work-around for the moment.

Thanks.
Dan

Hello,

This issue has not been fixed yet. I will update this thread as soon as the fix will be available in Advanced Installer. Thank you for your understanding.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Joshr

Hello, Dan.

Don't mean to be a pain, but if I'm understanding this issue correctly, it breaks any installer trying to use Refresh Dialog. That seems pretty severe.

Is there any fix for this issue, yet?
Dan

Hello,

We do not have a fix yet. However, I increased its' priority and hopefully it will be available soon.
By the way, can you please send us an .AIP(project file) that replicates this behaviour? You can send it to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best regards,
Dan
Eusebiu

Hello,

This was fixed in version 16.0 of Advanced Installer released on May 28th, 2019.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”