stevensonNr2

Path to Advanced Installer exe

Hello,

is there a simple way to get the path of the advanced installer executable?

I'm trying to create batch files to automate the build process. Currently I'm using the following line to build the installer project (which works fine):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 12.7.2\bin\x86\advinst.exe" /build "myproject.aip"

What bothers me is the hard coded path to advinst.exe, which also has the version number in it. I suppose after the next Advanced Installer SW update I will need to update all build scripts!?

I have seen that Advanced Installer creates some shell commands in the registry but apparently does not set an environment variable with the path. If there is a batch file with the up to date install path available (like e.g. Visual Studio provides one) I haven't found it. So - is there any best practice approach for creating batch builds that will work also with newer versions of Advanced Installer?

Thanks in advance,
Stevenson
Dan

Re: Path to Advanced Installer exe

Hi Stevenson and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

We'll consider your suggestion for adding a system environment path for AdvancedInstaller.com, but for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your suggestion.

Usually, a system environment can be created on the machine that points to the installation folder of Advanced Installer. If you don't perform a side by side installation of Advanced Installer and select the same installation path, you don't have to change the environment variable from a new version of Advanced Installer to another.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stevensonNr2

Hello Dan,

An environment variable with the path would be highly appreciated, thanks for considering the feature.

My company deploys Advanced Installer via a central rollout tool which uses the default path of the setup. I will discuss the options to have a company wide unified installation path (without the version number in it) that will work in build scripts also for future AI versions.

Thanks and best regards,
Stevenson
Dan

You're always welcome Stevenson,

Thank you for your feedback.
I will update this forum thread when this fix will be available in Advanced Installer.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
thill

A related question: Should advinst.exe be used, or AdvancedInstaller.com ? What's the difference?
Daniel

Hello Todd,

When calling Advanced Installer from command line you must use the "AdvancedInstaller.com" module. This is the dedicated module of our application you should use when using our CLI feature.

When you want you use the user interface version of our Application you must use the "advinst.exe" module.

If you have any questions just let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Catalin

Hello,

This has been fixed in Advanced Installer 16.7, released on December 12th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”