davidjhomer

AdvancedInstaller ODBC Connect: Timeout exceeded

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:03 pm

We've recently had this problem and found this can occur when TLS 1.0 is disabled - please see the following blog post for more details.
http://david-homer.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... meout.html

Thanks,

David
CENTREL Solutions Ltd
Server audit and documentation tools.
http://www.centrel-solutions.com

Daniel

Re: AdvancedInstaller ODBC Connect: Timeout exceeded

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello David and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for contributing to our community and for sharing your findings with us. I'm sure this info will be very useful for future users facing with the same scenario.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

donalwa

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 am

We are seeing this issue on Windows Server 2016 but not on Windows Server 2012 R2 (Using Advanced Installer 13.1).

Why does the Advanced Installer "testODBCconnection" not work the same on both OS (when TLS is disabled) ?

Is there a change i can make to our installer to be able to complete the test ODBC connection, even if TLS is disabled?
Thanks

Daniel

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Hello,
Why does the Advanced Installer "testODBCconnection" not work the same on both OS (when TLS is disabled) ?
Most likely this happens because the ODBC driver, you configured our "TestODBCConnection" custom action to use, cannot properly work when TLS is disabled.

Please have a look on "Disabling TLS 1.0 breaks software from accessing SQL 2016" thread and see if this helps.
Is there a change i can make to our installer to be able to complete the test ODBC connection, even if TLS is disabled?
On the newer operating systems you can configure the connection string (consumed by our "TestODBCConnection" custom action) to use an ODBC driver which works when TLS 1.0 is disabled and newer version of TLS (1.1 and 1.2) is enabled.

To test this out you can run a manual test by creating and testing an ODBC Data Source using the "ODBC Data Source" snap in from Control Panel.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel

davidjhomer

Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am

Hello we currently use the {SQL Server} ODBC driver which isn't compatible with TLS 1.0 being disabled.

If we want to use the new SQL OBDC driver or SQL native client how do we do this?

We don't want to hard code "SQL Native Client 11" or "SQL Native Client 12" in the list however we can't see a way to use the currently installed version of the SQL native client?

Thanks,

Dave
CENTREL Solutions Ltd

Daniel

Thu May 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello Dave,

As a workaround solution you can try to develop your own custom action which searches for the available SQL ODBC drivers on current machine and then set an installer property (ODBC_DRIVER_PROP) based on the results. Then you can configure two connection strings (one using the default SQL driver and the other using the SQL Client driver) and condition the connection string to be used by the "ODBC_DRIVER_PROP" property value.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Daniel

GrayFox

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm

I recently upgraded our packages and starting experiencing the "ODBC Connection: Timeout exceeded" alert. Especially on Server 2016 systems. I found this topic and a few others. There is a better viable solution that can be made within your AI configurations instead of altering the end user's registry as previously suggested.

See this discussion: viewtopic.php?t=35831

In short, TLS 1.0 is depreciated in Server 2016 and we should now utilize the newer "ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server" ODBC driver which supports TLS 1.2. As soon as I made this change I no longer received the "ODBC Connect: Timeout exceeded" alerts.

Good luck!

davidjhomer

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:58 pm

We fixed it by just bundling the ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server and configuring AI to use that specific driver.
Driver={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};Server=[DATABASE_INSTANCE]; Trusted_Connection=yes; Database=[DATABASE_NAME]

As a feature request it would be good for Advanced Installer to support a property that contains the latest driver so we don't have to write a custom action to find it ourselves for example
Driver={[MOST_UPTODATE_SQL_DRIVER]};Server=[DATABASE_INSTANCE]; Trusted_Connection=yes; Database=[DATABASE_NAME]
CENTREL Solutions Ltd

Daniel

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello David,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have added your improvement request (store lasest ODBC driver into a property) on our TODO list and hopefully this will be addressed by our dev team in the future. When so we will update this forum thread too.

All the best,
Daniel

Collins

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:47 am

I added ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server, set is as the driver for the dlgpredefinedconnection and set the SqlConnectionString to:

Driver=[\{]ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server[\}];Server=[SQL_SERVER];Uid=[SQL_USERNAME];Pwd=[SQL_PASSWORD];Trusted_Connection=yes;

And now the testodbcconnection works.

The issue I have now is it's timing out on the databasebrowse (showdatabases custom action) and the following error when trying to run a SQL script during install: [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed.

How do I get it to work for that as well? I emailed the AIP.

Dan

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 am

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.7 of Advanced Installer released on February 13th, 2019.

Now you can specify the ODBC driver used for SQL Database Browse operations. In SQL connection view.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

Catalin

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Hello,
As a feature request it would be good for Advanced Installer to support a property that contains the latest driver so we don't have to write a custom action to find it ourselves for example
Driver={[MOST_UPTODATE_SQL_DRIVER]};Server=[DATABASE_INSTANCE]; Trusted_Connection=yes; Database=[DATABASE_NAME]
This has been added in Advanced Installer 17.3, released on July 29th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

dbalsbaugh

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm

If this has been added to AI 17.3, what is the property name that should be used for the ODBC Driver name?

We are still getting the ODBC timeout as a result of having TLS 1.0 disabled.

After upgrading to AI 17.7, our TestODBCConnection custom action no longer works at all. The Next dialog button that triggers the custom action no longer attempts to connect or test the connection. It simply fails immediately. This leads me to believe that the Driver name is incorrect.

Catalin

Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Hello,

The property storing the latest version of ODBC Driver would be the AI_DETECTED_SQLSERVER_ODBCDRIVER_VERSION property.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

simona.tocanie

Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

Hello. I want to set another odbc driver, but somehow it's not working because I installed the application and database is empty, with no login name. Before changinfg to another odbc - I Set ODBC Server 11/13/17 for SQL Server, everything i working. In 14 february, you mentioned that I can specify another ODBC driver in connection view, but I can't find where exactly. I'm using predefined connection. Can you please help me?

Please close the issue. I solved it.

Thank you for you time

Return to “Common Problems”