Catalin

Re: AdvancedInstaller ODBC Connect: Timeout exceeded

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Hello Simona and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I am glad you were able to solve the issue. :)

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

sonda

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi,
I also have issues with TLS 1.0 Disabled and version 18.2 of the advanced installer, how can i select the latest sql driver the configuration like on the picture still result with error:
err.png
err.png (26.24KiB)Viewed 8257 times
any details appreciated

Regards

Liviu

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Hello,

This happens because the AI_DETECTED_SQLSERVER_ODBCDRIVER_VERSION predefined property resolves to the version and not to the name of the latest ODBC driver available on the target machine.

To get the name of the newest ODBC driver installed on the target machine, please follow the steps from our How to detect the latest ODBC driver installed on the target machine article.

After that, please use that new property in the connection string like this:
  • Driver=[\{][LATEST_ODBC_DRIVER_PROP][\}];Server=[SERVER_PROP];Uid=[USERNAME_PROP];Pwd=[PASSWORD_PROP];
Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

sonda

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi Liviu,

Thanks for your response, I decided that I will bring the driver as pre-install, but now I have a different issue:

If I use a trusted connection with SQL Server driver and use default database dialog settings I have no issues to login with Windows integrated user when clicking on test connection, and also if i use SQL user i have no issues

but if I change the driver and use the same dialog for SQL database (only driver is changed in corresponding actions) when I click test connection with Windows integrated user I receive an error: Login failed, but if I use SQL user it's ok.
err.png
err.png (5.87KiB)Viewed 7925 times

In the first case when using SQL server driver I did not use any code for managing login with Windows user and SQL user this was handled no matter how the user is logged if a user is valid authentication is ok (it was working out of the box), but now with the new driver there are issues when login with user windows trusted authentication and SQL user and I guess now I need to handle this?

I have attached two samples of .aip files, just build and try to log in with windows authentication and you can notice the difference.

is there something that I missed when another driver is used from the default SQL server or I will need to manage windows authentication also?

Regards
Attachments
Odbc Sql.aip
(20.04KiB)Downloaded 372 times
Odbc17.aip
(20.1KiB)Downloaded 422 times

Liviu

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:15 pm

Hi,
In the first case when using SQL server driver I did not use any code for managing login with Windows user and SQL user this was handled no matter how the user is logged if a user is valid authentication is ok (it was working out of the box), but now with the new driver there are issues when login with user windows trusted authentication and SQL user and I guess now I need to handle this?

I have attached two samples of .aip files, just build and try to log in with windows authentication and you can notice the difference.

is there something that I missed when another driver is used from the default SQL server or I will need to manage windows authentication also?

You need to add the parameter Trusted_Connection=yes; in the connection string:

• Driver=[\{]ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server[\}];Server=[SERVER_PROP];Uid=[USERNAME_PROP];Pwd=[PASSWORD_PROP];Trusted_Connection=yes;
odbc17.png
odbc17.png (83.9KiB)Viewed 7910 times
The explanation is that the default value of Trusted Connection is "no" in the Server authentication mode when using this connection.

When false (no), User ID and Password are specified in the connection. When true, the current Windows account credentials are used for authentication.
"Trusted_Connection=Yes" specifies that a user account is used to establish this connection.

More details on these articles:

1. Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server connection strings
2. MSSQLSERVER_18456 Error
3. Change server authentication mode

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

sonda

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 am

Hi Liviu,

Thanks for your response and explanation, it's working. I have attached a sample of how it's resolved.

Regards
Attachments
Odbc17.aip
(21.87KiB)Downloaded 417 times

Liviu

Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:16 am

Hi,

I'm glad you got this working!

Thank you for your attached sample. I am sure this will be of help for further users facing a same scenario as you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we could help you with and we will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”